Credit card payment without PayPal accout

termick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

my PayPal account and credit card is verified, PayPal account option is set to ON, but after hitting the button, the only option is to pay through a PayPal account (or to create one). 

I want the option to get paid by credit card without PayPal account. Support has already confirmed that I should be able to do that with my account. 

Thanks for helping out.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

What you're wanting is called "Guest Checkout" and with PayPal Payments Standard this is cookie based.  If any user has signed in to a PayPal account using the current browser, the cookie will be seen and the PayPal page will assume you'd be logging in.  The guest checkout option should still be available in these cases, but it's often hidden in a very small link that says "Don't have a PayPal account?" and if you don't click that link you'll never see the credit card option.

If you clear your browser cache / cookies you should see the credit card option show up more prominently.  Using a fresh browser you don't typically use would work, too.

If you want to avoid this limitation altogether it's recommended that you switch to the Express Checkout API.  With EC you can specify that you want to force the guest checkout experience regardless of any browser cookies.  

If you  happen to be working with PHP I would recommend taking a look at our PayPal PHP SDK.  It will make the EC integration very quick and easy for you.  If you are working with some other language you can check out the SDKs provided by PayPal.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

termick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Thank you for your tips. I did a test with an incognito window in current browser and it has offered the "pay with credit or debit card" option. 

I will check the EC option, but no PHP here. My website is made in Leadpages, I can HTML, but no deeper coding (and I am not an expert, either).

Do you know how I can force the buyer to give his email address while paying with the guest checkout option? This would be needed, as the users have to get enrolled to an online course after payment. But if I can't follow the user with an email address, this seems to be impossible.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Have you played at all with this PayPal integration method?  https://support.leadpages.net/hc/en-us/articles/220762768-PayPal

From the video on that page it looks like they're having you Grant API Permissions, which would typically only be necessary if you were using API products.  

It sounds like maybe you're just pasting basic HTML buttons into your pages, but their platform may very well support Express Checkout already.  It looks like that may be what they're using with their general PayPal integration.

If that's the case, then you would just need to ask them about customizing this to include the necessary parameters to force Guest Checkout at all times.  

The first step is to verify with them that they are using Express Checkout.  If so, then I could help you further with what you need in order to get this done.

Login to Me Too

termick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

That's for Center, run by Leadpages. I use Drip as a marketing tool, also run by Leadpages.

Had many chats with Drip/Leadpages support on setting up the PayPal payment on my site and getting back the email of the buyer into Drip, but they haven't mentioned to option you've just sent.

So far the workflow runs well with PayPal account users. My credit card was just verified during the weekend, so wanted to check it out with guest payment method, as this was a main criteria to be able doing it, but haven't found where clients would pass their email address.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Ah, sorry.  Just did a quick Google and thought I had found a lead for ya.  Doh!

One way or another you need to get switched to Express Checkout.  Then, just so you know, the specific parameters you need would be included in the SetExpressCheckout request:

• SOLUTIONTYPE=Sole
  • LANDINGPAGE=Billing
  • USERSELECTEDFUNDINGSOURCE=CreditCard

By moving to Express Checkout and ensuring those parameters are included in SetExpressCheckout, you'll always get the Guest Checkout experience.  The idea is that you could dynamically adjust those parameters to give people the exact experience you want them to have based on whether they'll be using PayPal, credit card, etc.

On caveat.  Guest checkout is simply not available for any and all scenarios.  Based on variables like the seller country, buyer country, product types, etc. it may simply not be available.  Following this method outlined above, though, would ensure that if available, it's always used.

Login to Me Too

termick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

just tried to experiment a bit with this. If I got correctly, Express Checkout is for E-commerce sites, webshops, what I don't have. I just want a simple button that enables my customers to pay through PayPal, either with PP account or guest checkout.

I have found a strange thing: the guest checkout either works or not (randomly). For example yesterday I was unable to make any test of my own, all the time I arrived to a page where guest checkout was not offered. Nomatter I was in incognito mode, or in a new browser, or even in my phone with mobile data, I could only pay with a PP account. But my wife could open the payment site with guest checkout option. 

If this is working only randomly, it is useless. The good news is that guest checkout payment site DOES require an email address, and this is what is critical for me. I just need to find out how it works all the time (in country enabled, of course).

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

So Angelleye is correct in that the best route would be Express Checkout as it gives the most flexibility when it comes to Express Checkout. WPS doesn't have the same variables available mentioned above. 

That being said, the guest checkout is very much dynamic as described about, there are a lot of different reasons why guest checkout wouldnt be available and PayPal makes the decision on the fly. In terms of Random, its not completely random, however there is a set % of checkout attempts that will get guest checkout and a % that will not and there is no way around this. 

However.... there was a change to how the Create Account flow works, at the moment when you click the "Create Account" Button the user does not need to add a password or actually create the account, that comes at the end of the checkout, and if account optional is enabled, its a choice for the user. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-optional

Login to Me Too

termick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for these.

Am I correct that Express Checkout can be added only to E-Commerce sites, webshops (through API process)?

In another way: I just want a sales page, where clients can pay. Can I install EC into a simple webpage?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Yep, you can. Your page just needs to be able to do this:

- SetExpressCheckout API call

- Redirect to PayPal

- (PayPal redirects customer back to your page)

- Your page makes the GetExpressCheckoutDetails API call and the DoExpressCheckoutPayment API calls. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.