Automatic billing stopped working

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using Automatic payments for a while on a standard PayPal account, but recently it stopped working - with the message "This merchant is no longer authorised to offer this Autobilling plan. Please contact the merchant or choose another product."

When we queried this with PayPal support, they said that one has to have a business account for this feature.

Is that new? I can't understand how it worked before! Maybe the Standard account can have up to a certain number of subscriptions before giving this message.

I'd forgotten quite how horrible PayPal is for the uninitiated! Once you know, it seems kind of obvious.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

MTS_Ciaran

I'll PM you. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone else has this problem, I did find the solution.

Go into tools/recurring payments

Click "Create a Subscription Button"

Change the "Choose a button topic" to "Automatic Billing"

- you should then see some text saying "Website Payments Standard premium services" 

Click the "Learn More" button

You will see some Terms and Conditions telling you what you're signing up for and how much it costs*

* Except the link to the costs is broken, but nobody reads T&C's right?

Click "Agree and Continue" (hoping that the fees are reasonable)

That is it!

If you have another go at creating an Automatic Billing button, it should allow you to fully specify and save it.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Thanks for the awesome guide.... for this 

"* Except the link to the costs is broken"

I'll submit a bug, thank you for raising. 

Login to Me Too

yasar94

There is no option for select "Automatic Billing"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.