I am a victim of Identity Theft and my PayPal Mastercard is still saying I am the theif.

obie003
Contributor
Contributor

I applied and received a paypal mastercard prior to even selling on eBay.  A few months later I began selling on eBay and paypal told me that since I had a paypal mastercard, I don't get buyer credit, which was fine with me.  The card arrived and the first month there were transactions that were not mine. I contacted paypal and they sent me a second card.  This time paypal noticed there were transactions that were not in line with my history, they shut the card down and sent me my third card. Again, it was it again, and it was paypal who realized it even before I received the statement. They then sent me my 4th card.  It took one month and it was hit. I called GE Money, Ebay, Paypal and went over every transaction and honestly told them which were valid and which were not.  I received a letter saying that they found in my favor and the case was closed.  I requested them to please just close the account because these fraudsters have a way to figure out the new card if it is related to a impacted card. I mean, it is in both our interests to close the initial account and reopen a completely different one. At the same time eBay discovered key logger virus was on my PC. 2 months later paypal writes me a collection letter saying I owe them $6,000.00.  I have all required documents, police reports, FTC case number, ID Theft affidavits and a fraud affidavits.  Following their refusal to give me a new card, new account with no relation to the old one, all of a sudden I am getting accused of not paying my buyer credit account. I did not have buyer credit.  Paypal now puts unfair holds on my account and I am sick and tired of the way they are treating me like pond scum.  Is there anything I can do prior to pressing charges for making transactions almost impossible to do because they hold all my money?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Did you use the card on lne.  If so you might have a key logger on your computer and that is how they are getting the card number.

Or someone is getting the card numbers when the card is swiped for a purchase

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

oops just noticed you said you did have a keylogger.

paragraphs are great

Login to Me Too

obie003
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I think it was 3AM when I wrote that about the Identity Theft.

Thanks

Pam

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Gads, what a mess.

I would say that you should free up a day and phone Paypal.  It sounds like you've run into a computerized mess and it's going to take a human to sort it out for you.

If you don't get satisfaction at the grunt level, ask for a supervisor and keep asking for one until you get one.  They have more smarts and a higher level of authorization to make corrections.

Login to Me Too

radionewsguy
Contributor
Contributor

check your home owners policy, you may be covered.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.