using debit card with negative account balance

francisjl3
Contributor
Contributor

at the moment, i have a negative account balance.

my backup method is a confirmed bank account with money in it.

if I go and use the PP debit card at walmart or whatever, will it be declined due to the negative PP account balance?

tia

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

francisjl3
Contributor
Contributor

NO ONE KNOWS, REALLY? GREAT PP_MODERATORS!!!!

anyhow, i tried to use the pp debit mastercard to pay for something online and it was denied. I think that if i used it at walmart in person it would also be denied.

i answered my own question, can i give myself kudos? 🙂

Login to Me Too

villaval
New Community Member

I use my debit card a lot with a negitive balance and how I do this is I have my checking account as a back-up and a day or two they deduct from my checking account. I hope this helps you?

Login to Me Too

francisjl3
Contributor
Contributor

really?

i have tried using my pp_debit card with a negative pp account balance, and it is denied. i have a backup funding source of a confirmed bank account set up as well.

Login to Me Too

Karen6021
New Community Member

you might want to try changing some of your account settings for your pp debit card. I have one, and I use it for all of my everyday purchase, just for the cashback. I have mine set for my checking account for back-up, and a limit of $600 per transaction. I don't always have a positive pp balance.(Usually the balance says 00.) I have never had a problem with my card being denied, because of my 0 pp balance. It always just draws from my bank. But whenever I use my card, it takes from my available funds first, then the rest from my checking. Always swipe it as a credit card, though. Also, if you don't have a positive pp balance, it won't let you withdraw cash from ATM's.

Did this help? I don't post on here, usually just surf the forums. But I had the same questions as you when I first got my pp card. It was very frustrating to have all of these questions, and not be able to find the answers anywhere.

Login to Me Too

francisjl3
Contributor
Contributor

i totally agree..spent alot of time trying to find the answers..and STILL NIO REPLY FROM A MODERATOR!

anyhow, ya a 0 pp balance is different than a negative pp balance (i.e. -$10 in RED) i never had a problem when it was $0 either.

It takes 3-5 days to transfer money from your checking account to your paypal balance. My questions origin was what if i was waiting on a transfer to resolve  a negative balance, would the pp_debit card be declined?

The answer seems to be YES, unless anyone can chime in otherwise. I would really love to hear from an official paypal person on this one as my e-mails from weeks ago have not yet been answered.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.