PayPal debit card does not work

radu_s
New Community Member

My Paypal debit card is not working, it used to work every time I was using it, now it is declined everywhere and I cannot find any explanation why?

Can anybody help me out?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

dirty_white_boy
New Community Member

If you are using your card eccesivly paypal might have put a hold on your card the onlything i can say is call paypal to find out.

Login to Me Too

Jesscaused
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there! I am having the same issues- except mine has yet to work. I recieved the card the beginning of March and every time I have tried to use it at the mall, grocery store, etc. etc. it's declined. I emailed PayPal but they haven't responded to anything yet. Have you heard any new news about what it may be? Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

jhonea66
New Community Member

I think the system is having problems. I used mine successfully to get gas this morning, then when I tried at two other places later in the day it was declined.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome radu_s, dirty_white_boy, Jesscaused, and jhonea66! Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing with your PayPal debit cards.  I use mine all the time so I know how convenient it can be.  I also know how embarrassing and frustrating it can be when a card is declined.

There are many different reasons why a PayPal debit card purchase would be declined.  I have checked our system and we haven't had any reports of widespread issues with the PayPal debit card recently.

Like dirty_white_boy said, the most common reason is that the card has been flagged by our security system. 

I know it's been a few days since you posted so I hope the cards are working now.  If not, the best way to find out is to call the number on the back of your debit card.

I hope this information is helpful! 😄

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

cherokee2950
New Community Member

have had the card a few weeks.  i can use at any pos site (groceries, etc), but it will not allow me to remove cash from an atm.   I've looked at the account front and back and can't see a reason for the denial at the atm.

Login to Me Too

QuestioningJ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have been normally using my Paypal Debit card for both small and large purchases without any problems for the past couple years. The money in my Paypal account comes from sales on Ebay. My bank account (with sufficient funds) is linked as my back-up credit. The other day, I did something I never had before. I sometimes get 100 dollars in cash back with purchases. (For example, buying groceries, and getting the extra cash back at the register.) This time, I bought 9.00 of groceries and got 300.00 cash back. I had 330.00 dollars in my Paypal account, and was making a total 'purchase' of 9.00 plus 300.00 cash back. The transaction was approved. I got my cash without a hitch.

Or so I thought.

The next day, I notice that paypal seems to have deactivated my debit card. Today, my Paypal account has 30.00 in it (from a couple small Ebay sales today) Still, the card is denied whenever I try to use it, even WITH sufficient funds in my Paypal account AND sufficient funds in my back-up bank account. I figure that my 300 dollars cash back is caused some 'security' flag in Paypal's system to go up. 

What I need to know is HOW LONG is my debit card going to be denied, even when I have money in my Paypal account?

Would someone from Paypal PLEASE give me information? How long do I have to wait? 

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello All,

cherokee2950 - The PayPal debit card can be used to withdraw available funds from your PayPal account, however if your PayPal account does not have a balance you would not be able to withdraw funds from the Debit Card.

QuestioningJ - I am sorry your card keeps getting denied.  I am not sure why your card would be denied all the sudden after your $300 withdraw, the only way to find out for sure when your card will not be denied anymore is to call PayPal directly.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

QuestioningJ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

The update is that I called Paypal--and the agent I got was very professional, helped right away. I was actually SHOCKED by how helpful she was. She said what I had already guessed, they wanted to make sure the large withdrawal was by me, and not someone who had stolen  the card. After answering my security questions/verification, she said they would remove the 'hold' on the card--and it worked WITHIN THE HOUR!

I have not always been fond of Paypal customer service (sometimes I've got people who didn't know what they were talking about and just shot off guesses that I, who have been selling on Ebay for years, knew were just guesses) but THIS TIME, the agent was smart, and helpful!

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello QuestioningJ,

I am so glad to hear you had a positive experience with PayPal, it is always good to hear! I am happy to hear you were able to get the hold removed from your card.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.