interest free period cancellation

tak2
New Community Member

Hi all, I'm going to keep it brief and see if anyone can help please?

I purchased an item in May 2019 on eBay with a 12 month interest free option.

In July I purchased another item on CW before cancelling it the next day. 

I just checked my balance and the 12 month interest free purchase has gone but there is an outstanding balance for the CW purchase and interest will be incurred from Nov 19.

I rang PayPal, they said the refund from CW has been used to pay off the 12 month interest free ebay purchase and what was remaining was then allocated to refunding the cancelled purchase so therefore interest will be incurred from Nov 19, the person on the phone said this was done in my best interest!! 

I asked how this was in my best interest when it meant having to pay interest earlier, the person replied they are governed by FCA.

The manner of the person was quite dismissive and not helpful, I asked to speak to someone higher the person said there was none, I asked for a manager, the reply was managers do not take calls.

Can anyone help with this or tell me how this is in the consumer's best interests?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_April

Hello @tak2

The reason for this is that interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the balance is not paid in full by the end of the offer period. 

What this means is that if any of the purchase amount that fell under the special terms wasn't paid by the end of the offer period you would be billed the full amount of interest. This would be figured from the date of the purchase at the Purchase APR applicable to your account.

-April 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.