SCAMMED WITH NO HELP FROM PAYPAL REPS

kevinvvv
Contributor
Contributor

THIS IS INSANE! so I called paypal customer service for an issue where my credit score was affected because a paypal account attached to my social security number was closed I found this out from credit Karma. I then logged into my paypal account and was opted to change my password due to unusual activity.  Next I call the[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]number on the paypal website. The first guy I talk to says he cannot help me and tells me to

cal[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]so I do. The automated system says that they all reps are busy and to resquest a call back by dialing 1. so I do. They say I will get a call back between 18-27 mins. I get a call back exactly in that time frame from [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]number that claims to be paypal. He then says the only way to help me after fI give him all my info including all my emails, cell number and phone number is to provide my full social security number. I said I dont feel comfortable and then he tells me without it he cannot access everything tied to my social security number. I reluctantly give it to him in hopes of solving my credit report problem that I didnt cause because I never had a credit card with paypal. 

He then tells me he sees there is another account thats not under my email but he does not have access to it and transfers me to his "security department he says"  At this point I am freaking out since I gave him all my info. I wait another 20 mins and someone who says his name is daniel answers. I asked him for his full name but he said he couldn't give it to me but could give me his operating # which was 47943. Daniel then says he cant tell me who has made an account under my name and tells me that I have to call synchronicity bank I asked for there number and wrote it down. He told me it was[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] I didnt even realize that that number was the original paypal credit number I had called that told me to request a call back until I was off the phone with him. 

I Then call back the[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]number again. The lady tells me my account wasn't accessed by the people who claim to be with paypal credit, I explained everything to her and how I was told by a paypal rep to call th[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]number and what had happened. I asked her if paypal ever asked for the full social security number and she said no. She also said tha[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]wasnt apart of paypal. She then said that she would transfer me to the credit department and they could look into to see if it may have been paypal  calling me back. She said everything I said would be in the notes so I wouldnt have to repeat myself.  She then tranfered me to an automated payment system. NOT THE CREDIT DEPARTMENT so I call the[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]number back again. I then get someone named Grace I ask if she saw the info I called about in the notes and she said NO. At this point, I am wondering if the paypal reps are in on this scam. I then repeat everything that happened up to this point. She said that Paypal never asks for the whole social security number and that I was scammed. I then asked why did one of your reps on the main Paypal customer service number tell me to cal[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]and then I am told to request a call back by a number who calls me and scams me out of my information. She says I don't know. She tells me I should talk to the local police and that Paypal would never ask for my social because the FBI would come after them. I said the local police wouldn't do anything and she agreed? (Then why did you tell me to call them?) I then ask her to transfer me to the actual credit department. GUESS WHAT! She sent me to the same automated payment system that the previous lady did.  WHAT THE **bleep**? I then call back the customer service number. I ask to speak to a manager, the lady asks what my issue is. I say please I need to speak to a manager. She kept asking me why. I said its because I am dealing with an issue that the Reps cant help me with please can I speak to a manager. She then tells me okay I will transfer you. I wait 20 mins. She then comes back on the line and says hello? I say hello? she says I will transfer you to a manager now and the phone rings once and goes to a busy dialtone. I dont no whats going on with this company or what to do from here besides reaching out to the FBI about this. I have been using paypal for years and never had an issue like this. They wont even let me speak to someone in charge? I know its sounds crazy to say some of the reps are in on this scam but I dont know what else to think.  

Please can a real Manager who takes care of their customers please get ahold of me and actually help me here. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kevinvvv 

Harrowing account.

You said you called a phone number on the PayPal website.

Did you call by clicking Help & Contact on bottom of PayPal website, then scroll to the bottom and click "Contact Us", then scroll down again to choose a way to contact PayPal? 

That is the correct way to contact PayPal for customer service. At best, you would be asked only the last 4 digits of SSN like Credit card companies do. I would have just hung up on the guy asking for full SSN.

Or contact via social media by private message or post on one of their public posts to get their attention, you'll see when you get the facebook site:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

You will see a checkmark badge to indicate the page is official PayPal page, same with Twitter.

To be honest, I rather have closing of an account (affecting credit score or not, although concerning nonetheless) than an opening of an account because who knows what charges can be put on it if an account was opened.

Unfortunately this is user to user forums and we can only give advice and general information and not customer service so try social media if you're freaked out about calling.

There are PayPal staff moderators that monitor these pages so hopefully they can chime in and advise.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kevinvvv
Contributor
Contributor

So after 6 hours yesterday dealing with all of this BS I finnaly talked to someone who had some intelligence and was very sympathetic to the crap I was put through. His Name was Nicholas, he was a great guy. He was the only person who seemed to know how to do anything an actually look at the computer in front of his face. Thank you, Nickolas. He was able to confirm that it was indeed Paypal that called me back and was able to find the call notes that I had with Daniel from security. Somehow nobody else saw the call notes and didnt take the time to actually look a little deeper. He also told me that the number they have listed for synchrony bank was weirdly their own number, that was the first clue that I actually talked to Paypal reps and not scammers before he found the notes. It just crazy how the other reps said my account was never accessed by paypal when I gave them all my info and was on the phone with them for 45 mins. All the other reps told me that there was no documentation of my call whatsoever and that I was scammed.

I was freaking out because obviously if a scammer has your SS# your royally **bleep**! 

Anyway thanks to Nick I found out everything was okay. The thing I still dont get is why Paypal would mess all this up and also why they asked me all these questions just to tell me they couldnt do anything and to call synchrony bank. Why didnt they just say that from the start instead of wasting my time and causing me to almost have a heart attack. I was told umm yea it seems like there is another account linked to your identity but we cant do anything about it. UM okay? why not? but whatever it is what it is. Just to anyone that happens to read this, dont give your full SS# even if they promise it will help you because it won't. They will just tell you they cant do anything right after. The whole experience was just awful. Paypal needs to get their **bleep** together and needs to hire americans that understand english. Its very difficult to talk to someone that cant fully understands the english language.

Also I just wanted to add one of the foreign ladies who told me I was scammed said that she would put it in the notes. HA! what the heck is that going to do!?!

So glad its over! 

Login to Me Too

whaTa
Contributor
Contributor

I FEEL THIS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS IS A HUGH SCAM!!! To run multi million dollar company with no live person to help with your claim and issues is a way for you just LOSE OUT. when the monotony gets to be a run around with no way to solve your problem. I was hung up on and told, At this time customer service will not address the issue at this time. I took like two to five hours out of my time to deal with this issue. Just when you think you have come to and point where you will hear a CSR live and to help get some real answers to your dilemma PayPal hangs up! Where is it in the fine print that this is how a company gets over on its patrons. I have $800 on hold because a friend of mine was going to loan me money for a cash for a down payment on  new vehicle. I have done everything for five days straight to get PayPal to contact customer service, because my friend sent the payment from a buyer /seller portion of the website BY ACCIDENT. PayPal refuses to listen to reason and reverse the transaction in order to make it a friend to friend loan. I have no receipts, forms, or documentation that constitutes a buyer/seller transaction. So I have to wait for 21-90 days to see any of the loan, due to an investigation of fraud,  any wrongdoing or misuse of the companies regulations to wire funds electronically from PERSON TO PERSON, not buyer/seller endeavor. Has anyone else had this issue please contact me asap.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.