Recent payment not applied correctly to promotional financing

zmannz1984
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made an excess payment that was intended to pay off a portion of a deferred interest purchase expiring in July 2019. Instead, the excess was applied to a more recent deferred interest purchase that expires in December 2019. Did the way payments are applied change recently? I found the other help articles related to this and unfortunately the system didn't work the way I was told it would. Now I am struggling to pay extra to avoid interest.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Oldkiter
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem! Made extra specific payment to pay off one purchase. They applied it to second special purchase with monthly payments. Called them 6-8 times but no changes! Going to pay off everything soon and never use PayPal or eBay!
Login to Me Too

zmannz1984
Contributor
Contributor

Update on my original post: I called paypal support and explained my situation. They said they could fix my issue, but it would take several billing cycles because the transaction in question was made shortly before synchrony took over. I was fine with that, but it would have caused interest to be charged on an amount that should have been interest free for five more months. They asked me to call back in a few days, so I did. They transferred me to someone else that was able to set up a balance adjustment under a new same-as-cash term. This allowed me a few months for them to fix everything while not requiring me to pay off everything.

I waited a few weeks and was surprised to see a lot of changes made sooner than they promised. However, there were still issues and I was still going to owe interest I shouldn't have. I had to call back two more times to finally get everything solved. I ended up paying off all but one promo just to avoid possible issues.

I was very hesitant to use the service again after all the issues, but I gave it a shot anyway. I purchased some things for my bathroom remodel, then carefully watched the account. The new charge appeared correctly. A month later, I made a payment, and several days later it had been applied the same way they were pre synchrony. The majority of th payment was applied to the oldest purchase, and the minimum was applied to the newest. Glad to see it back to logical.

Login to Me Too

Oldkiter
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for response. Just spoke with another rep in USA supposedly. Said manager would correct my issue 😉. Will see what happens in couple of days. Not expecting anything! Just such a waste of time!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.