Paypal credit not actually credit?

Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so I set my preferences for Paypal credit to take charges I was making on a phone game.  I eventually found out that the charges were going to my credit union, causing massive overdraft charges.  I called Paypal customer service to ask why the charges weren't being credited, and were instead going to my credit union checking account.  The service provider told me that's how it works.  Someone has to pay for it.  And I said... yeah, Paypal credit covers it, and then bills me later.  It was like I was talking to someone who had never heard of credit before, she said it was correct that my checking account take charges and not Paypal credit, because it "had to be paid by someone".  Is this correct?  Am I to understand that Paypal credit doesn't actually exist, and when you set for your Paypal transactions to go to Paypal credit it is just a trick and it goes to your checking account instead?  This can't be.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
PayPal Credit is a thing, and it works like you're expecting as far as using it like a credit card, basically.

Where it sounds like things went wrong is that you simply chose to pay with PayPal in your game, and this does not default to using "PayPal Credit", but instead defaults to your primary funding source, which is apparently your bank account.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Among my methods of payment on file, Paypal Credit is set to "preferred".  Does this not mean that when I use Paypal, it charges Paypal Credit?  Setting an account or card to "preferred" has always made that the one all Paypal transactions go through before.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.