Paypal Credit messed me up

Dubbugs
Contributor
Contributor

I applied last week for Paypal credit , I needed some parts for the car and it has been a tight month so I thought great , I'll use PayPal credit and it's 4 months interest free credit offer .Great , so I thought.I set it all up , got approved with a £2000 limit not that I would ever use that much and ordered my parts . I did a basket shop with about five items and went to the checkout pressed use PayPal credit and thought that was it. Later I checked my PayPal account to find all the charges had been taken from my bank account. My first though was I made a mistake so I contacted all the sellers and asked them to cancel the transactions so I could re do them which they all very Kindly did. I re purchased them a couple of hours later making sure I used the buy with PayPal credit option. It went through and I checked the order details and it says quite clearly "payment method PayPal credit" It has worked I presumed. It wasn't until later when I checked PayPal again that I realised it had taken the money from my bank AGAIN!!!!!  I rang the PayPal customer service and after talking to a robot for half an hour I got through to an actual person. After explaining what had happened he looked at my account and said I need to have PayPal credit set as my preferred method of payment. My first thought was why didn't it state this before I was allowed to pay thinking I was using credit when I wasn't .I contacted the vendors again and explained but the parts had already left so now after all that I've ended up paying with cash I don't have. But thats not the end of the story. after changing the settings I decided to test it with the one guy who had managed to refund me before he realised the parts had been posted so I clicked on buy with PayPal credit confident it would work only to find the option was unavailable to me . so basically they approved me then disapproved me at the last minute.I've always been a pay when you can afford kind of bloke and I don't have credit cards , and after this total shambles I think I will stick to that belief.Thanks Paypal for nothing. Oh yeah and the one refund I got is now pending so I won't have it until the 27 of November.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dubbugs 

You can set a preferred payment method but you can still choose how you want to pay at checkout though. It's just PayPal's risk management model doing what it wants to do according to parameters programmed into the system based on circumstances of your transactions and other factors only known to PayPal, which can't be overridden.

Another thing is, if your PayPal Credit is a new account, generally its won't you to use it until you've managed some successfully completed transactions (no disputes) with your own funding sources since opening the account, then the checkout system has some transaction history go to on whether to allow a charge through or even offer PPC to you as funding source.

On some occasions PayPal will rescind a charge and use a linked funding source instead AFTER you checked out using PayPal Credit just as you've experienced and the account doesn't necessarily have to be new one so always in the back of your mind to make sure your funding sources is an option in case PayPal doesn't let a charge go through.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dubbugs
Contributor
Contributor
If it wont let me use it why approve me with a 2 grand limit and then say i’ve used it when i haven’t . My ebay transaction says i paid using paypal credit and that was BS because when i checked my paypal account it had used my bank . It’s dropped me in the brown stuff when all i wanted was a little bit of credit to fix my brakes on my car at a really expensive time of the year. Would you tell your mate you will lend him £100 and then say well actually you cant borrow it even though you said you would . It’s lunacy. Either give credit or don’t simple as that.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.