Paypal Credit account closed automatically?

malden1
Contributor
Contributor

I received a notification from Mint: "Your TransUnion credit report shows you recently closed 1 accounts with SYNCB/PPC." A little digging showed that this is PayPal Credit account.

I don't remember creating/using a PPC account, nor did I do anything to close it. If I did open one in 2013, like my credit report says (it's possible I forgot), is there a reason that PayPal would suddenly close the account without telling me, 6 years 2 months later?

Or is this a cause for concern – that someone else could be tampering with my accounts?

How can I double check and see the history of whether I opened a PPC account in 2013?

I can't find anything about this. Any help is much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@malden1 

Please contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@malden1 

Please contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Daniellelav4
New Community Member

@malden1 This exact thing happened to me today. What did you end up doing? I don't remember having a paypal ccard.

Login to Me Too

mristau1
Contributor
Contributor

I, too, experienced this same exact thing. I received an email on 11/16 from Mint saying that an account of mine had been closed. Then, on 11/21, I received an email from Synchrony reminding me that I have a PayPal Credit account. It wasn't until I saw my credit report and a dip in my credit score that I started to dig in.

I first contacted PayPal using the information that was provided in this thread (Help page and then phone call) and spoke with someone over the phone. The PayPal rep confirmed I had a PayPal Credit account on his end and then proceeded to transfer me over to Synchrony. Well, they tried to transfer me but I was met with an automated response saying that the number wasn't available and then the call disconnected. Definitely not helpful. Rather than trying to call Synchrony again, I went to the website and utilized the Chat support function. I gave the chat agent my information and they confirmed that the account had, in fact, been closed due to inactivity. 

Background: I used PayPal Buy Now Pay Later (now PayPal Credit) service back in 2010 or 2011 and haven't used it since.

Login to Me Too

ppcjsander
Contributor
Contributor

Similar but different situation.   Old *Bill Me Later* account, last activity in 2013, but about a week ago I requested an increase for giggles, they approved it, then noticed credit alerts that an account was closed, re: Syncb/Ppc.   Called Paypal, they confirmed, increase provided on Nov 23rd, account automatically closed on Nov 24th.  

Just as well, sounds like a kludgy system to begin with 🙂

Login to Me Too

malden1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, an update on this:

I got in touch with customer service, who confirmed that I did have a PayPal Credit account, which was closed automatically due to inactivity.

The next day I got an email saying "We wanted to remind you that you have a PayPal Credit account." 🙄

So I called them again (it was really hard to get past the robot because I was like "I want to close my account" and she was like "your account is inactive"). The customer service rep also told me that my account was inactive. They said that the email was an error.

At this point I am just leaving it alone. But PayPal really shouldn't close accounts without notifying people—because it does affect credit scores, and many of us don't know what SYNCH/PPC means—and they should fix this email problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.