Payment protection

Needhelp13
New Community Member

I recently ordered a parcel of clothing from a german company.  The delivery company tried twice to deliver but I was at work.  I went online and asked for the parcel to be delivered to my safe place.  The next day, it was not there, no card either.  A few days later I contacted the company to ask about my parcel.  They stated that it had been delivered signed for by a name that I do not know, obviously I was not home, being at work and I live rurally, nobody else to deliver to.  The company were unhelpful as far as they were concerned it had been delivered.  The fact that it was signed for by god knows who fell on deaf ears. They then ignored 8 emails that I sent.  In the end I opened up a paypal case as it was paid for on PAYPAL credit which offers payment protection.  Paypal reviewed it, it passed the deadline.  Then they contacted me to say that the delivery company had delivered the parcel, and they were closing the case as not enough evidence to decide in my favour. Again, the fact this was signed for by person unknown did not seem to matter.  I am unable to appeal, unless I am stating that I have received the parcel and the goods are faulty/not as described.  But I havent received the parcel.  I am really shocked I just assumed that PAYPAL would protect me.  I am 315 pounds down and not sure what to do.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Needhelp13

If a seller has trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer then they are covered.

The fact it was signed for and maybe delivered elsewhere is really between the company that delivered it and yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Needhelp13
New Community Member

So whats to stop the delivery company from making up a name?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Needhelp13

No idea but that would not be the sellers or paypals fault would it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Needhelp13
New Community Member

This isnt about fault, its about protection for goods that have been purchased but not delivered.  Paypal offers payment protection for goods that have not been received.  This is stipulated.  As a seller on ebay (this isnt an ebay item but just to illustrate the point) if I sell an item and its tracked and doesnt arrive, then I refund the buyer and I take it up with the delivery company whom I paid to deliver the item.  It is for me the seller to pursue the company. In any case, I dont think you are able to help me but thanks anyway.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Needhelp13

Paypal offers buyer protection for items not received which a buyer would LOSE if the seller / company can provide trackable proof of DELIVERY of the item to the buyers address.

You are correct in that if the seller cannot provide trackable proof then they refund and take it up with their postal company but that does not apply in your case does it.

You also TOLD the company to leave it in a 'safe place' so you are negating the need for them to get YOUR signature on the item. So the courier may well have signed for it themselves as you told them to leave it in a safe place.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.