PayPal opened a PayPal Credit account in my name without my authorization. Why was this done?

life2
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal opened a PayPal Credit account in my name without my authorization. Why was this done?

Because of this, my credit score dropped.

I would appreciate any information regarding how and why PayPal authorized a new PayPal Credit account in my name without my consent. Since an account was opened, I expected to be notified by PayPal, but this was never done. I only found out when I did my monthly credit check using another non-PayPal credit account. I have also not received any details regarding the terms of the new PayPal Credit account, nor have I been offered to give my consent to any such terms.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Brooke

Hi @celtvin and @life2

We are sorry to hear of the experience you have had with PayPal credit. We would suggest calling PayPal Credit so they are able to look up the account that were opened and give you further information regarding it. The number they can be reached at is [removed]

Thank you, 

Brooke

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

celtvin
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem, too, and questioned PayPal concerning it.  I was basically accused of opening a fraudulent account, and then they closed the PayPal credit card that was opened mysteriously on my account several months back.  Then they put a limitation on my account regular PayPal account which I've had for years!  All I wanted was an explanation as to why I had a PayPal credit card associated with my PayPal account, why I never received a credit card from that account, and the purpose of it in the first place.  I received an email from Synchronicity Bank advising me that I was sending my payments to the wrong place, and told them I was not aware things had changed.  I was told I opened this card thru Community Bank, which I never even heard of.  So, whose problem is this?  Get it together guys, or I may have to close my account(s) with you, altogether!

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Brooke

Hi @celtvin and @life2

We are sorry to hear of the experience you have had with PayPal credit. We would suggest calling PayPal Credit so they are able to look up the account that were opened and give you further information regarding it. The number they can be reached at is [removed]

Thank you, 

Brooke

Login to Me Too

life2
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Brooke  I believe I may have opened this account in May 2019. I was confused why it would just now appear on my credit report. I guess it's fine?

Login to Me Too

celtvin
Contributor
Contributor

That's about the same time period that it occurred on my account, too, but I can't remember the complete scenario!

Login to Me Too

Bel324
Contributor
Contributor
It happened to me on July 2019. I disputed it and paypal sent a letter saying it would be removed. 2 yrs later it's still showing on my credit and coming up on consumer fraud alerts as if I was committing fraud. Today I checked and the card was requested with my name, ss# and an unknown address from The Bronx in NY.
Login to Me Too

huckleberry420
Contributor
Contributor
How can PayPal open up a PayPal credit with out my permission
Login to Me Too

Lola761
New Community Member
So PayPal opened a MasterCard without my consent ?! Is that legal ?? I’m not happy about this
Login to Me Too

celtvin
Contributor
Contributor

They straightened it out, and I didn't want to get legal on them since they did straighten things out-clearing me of late charges and all of that.  It was a mess, in my case, since there were spoof emails involved, among other things.  It turned out that they did send me a notice and because of the other problems I was having, it got missed.  Watch your emails addressed from PayPal since they get spoofers, a lot.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.