PayPal does not investigate claims.

Jpass
Contributor
Contributor
I paid for a vacation rental through PayPal. I then found out that the property listed on Craigslist did not exist. The person I paid on PayPal, admits she was scammed by a fake merchant to receive payments and she was to get a commission. Bottom line, I paid $400 and got NOTHING. PayPal says I have to prove I did not receive it. THE PAYPAL RECIPIENT ACKNOWLEDGES THE PROPERTY DOES NOT EXIST AND IT WAS A SCAM. PayPal is standing up for the scammer and I am out $400.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jpass 

Buyer protection does not cover real estate etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jpass
Contributor
Contributor
How long have you worked for them? FRAUD IS FRAUD
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jpass 

Yep and you have the right to take private legal action against that fraud, but that does not mean that Paypal cover you for it.

They only provide 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection and the rest is up to us as customers to risk assess our own transactions.

I'm sure you wouldn't have been daft enough to pay via a bank transfer or funds in your balance and that you were sensible enough to use a credit card to fund your paypal payment so why not just do a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

estell1
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
I was scammed by merchant that admitted in their answer they had scammed me and paypal said I would have to prove I was scammed. Really? I send them copies of advertisement and receipt from merchant saying what I should get then in their answer admitted what they had shipped. What other proof do they need? Paypal itself at this point seems to be a scam.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@estell1 

Paypal don't accept anything like that as emails can easily be faked.  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Stan-ç2019
Contributor
Contributor

so what proof do we have as almost 100% of the buyers transactions are confirmed by email.

Saying that Paypal does not accept emails as proof is like saying "case closed" because buyers don't have any other proof.

Login to Me Too

gargurlie
New Community Member

I made an online purchase and never received anything from the Seller.  PayPal confirmed payment and then sent another email regarding shipment of my item.  I opened the UPS tracking number to find that the 2.20 lb lawnmower I had purchased was delivered same day to a local city and signed for my a receptionist.  Not even possible!  No response from Seller and opened a dispute with PayPayl.  They waited the obligatory 20 days to close my case because they had tracking proof of the delivery.  They couldn't POSSIBLY have EVEN read my dispute.  I am so disgusted with PayPal.  I just filed a complaint with the BBB in the state of the Seller and now I will be looking to file a complaint wherever I can about PayPal, cuz you can't even dispute NO attempt at a resolution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.