PayPal Credit Negative Balance Disappeared

enricokorderos
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am having an issue with some transactions on my PayPal Credit account.

In short, I received a refund to my PayPal Credit account after I had paid off the outstanding balance in full (on literally the same day) and it left me with a negative balance on my PayPal Credit account.  That negative balance has since inexplicably turned to zero via a mysterious "purchase" on the account making it unclear where the extra money went.

Details

I realize and sympathize that this can be confusing since it's a negative balance on a credit account so I will try to be as clear about this as possible.  While a negative on a regular PayPal account would mean that I've spent more than I have, a negative in a credit account means I have received money through my credit account after my balance was $0.  To illustrate this I have posted a screen capture of my statement for that month below in which you can see that my "Payments and Credits" exceeds my "Purchase and Adjustments", "Fees", and "Interest Charges".  Additionally you can see the two refunds from Microsoft (they automatically charged me to continue using Xbox Live after my "Free Trial" expired despite me not using it) for $10.59 each on the same day as my payment of $98.59 which was the full balance prior to the refunds leaving a balance of -$20.45.

Credit statement w/ refundCredit statement w/ refund

I had assumed that this meant I could purchase $20.45 worth of stuff through PayPal Credit before my balance would increase past zero, but I soon after applied for the PayPal Mastercard and stopped using PayPal Credit for purchases and completely forgot about the issue.  Fast-forward to today when I'm reconciling my accounts and I notice that the balance is no longer negative but instead $0.00.  No transactions showed up under the "Activity" window so I looked at individual statements and found the following.

Mysterious balance refund transactionMysterious balance refund transaction

This money was not used for any purchase , this money was not transferred to my PayPal account, this money was not returned to the bank account linked to my profile, this money was not used to pay off my PayPal Mastercard balance, and this money has not gone towards any of the purchases I've made.  As far as I can tell the money has just vanished into thin air with no explanation as to why.

Please let me know if there's something I'm possibly missing in this situation or if there is a way to remedy this mysterious loss of $20.45.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

enricokorderos
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to send an email to PayPal via the "Email Us" link at the bottom of one of the support topics.  I can't remember which one, but it was under PayPal Credit though not really related to this problem.

Shortly after emailing them essentially the same post as above without pictures they responded acknowledging the imbalance and after a few weeks a check came in the mail for $20.45.  It's likely that this was what should have happened in the first place and the original check just never made it to me.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

enricokorderos
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to send an email to PayPal via the "Email Us" link at the bottom of one of the support topics.  I can't remember which one, but it was under PayPal Credit though not really related to this problem.

Shortly after emailing them essentially the same post as above without pictures they responded acknowledging the imbalance and after a few weeks a check came in the mail for $20.45.  It's likely that this was what should have happened in the first place and the original check just never made it to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.