Increased Interest Rate With Changeover to Synchrony!!

rohnnyb
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like Synchrony is taking over PayPal Credit from Comenity Capital Bank as of July 2, 2018. In the notice I just received, it said my new interest rate would be the variable rate of 25.49%, rather than my current rate of 19.99%. I have a credit rating of over 800. What the hell is going on? Enlighten me please!!!

Login to Me Too
52 REPLIES 52

VanHandpan
Contributor
Contributor

i have been diligent abt using paypal credit to rebuild my crappy credit score but am wondering, what are the repercussions if i consider this to be a different relationship than one i signed up for and stop paying?

thanks

Login to Me Too

kell143

PayPal has never reported to any of the agencies... good or bad. I don't know how you were rebuilding credit through them.

As with anything, if you simply stop paying your balance, there will be repercussions.  Don't fall back into the same habits which helped create your crappy credit.

Also, credit karma will show you the accounts which contribute to your score. Notice PP/BML is not one of them (unless there is a hard pull) but SYNCB does report. When they take over PP debts that is when reporting will affect us all for better or worse so best of luck everyone!

Login to Me Too

zoeyconner
PayPal doesn’t show up on your credit report as far as I know (but now they will THANKS PayPal for betraying everyone who used you for a the reason that they did t want to use a bank)
Login to Me Too

Mldaniels
Just got the letter about synchrony. My account is closed but still has a balance. And there are lates. When synchrony takes over will this be reported to the credit bureaus? Will the entire account history be on my credit report? No one seems to know.
Login to Me Too

Debster222
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a letter from PayPal saying that APR for purchases is going up from like 19% to 25.49%!!  Is this just for new purchases, or will that be applied to my current balance?

After I pay off my balance, which I will no do post haste, I'll be dumping PP Credit.  I can get credit cards for way less than that.  Ridiculous.  

Login to Me Too

MizzW95476
New Community Member

I just opened my letter about the APR change and I'm furious!  I've been a PP user since it's inception, and have funded close to $10k a month through PP for years.  I use it for everything!  I don't carry a large balance on PP credit, mostly use it to take advantage of the 6-month interest free angle, but due to a variable income stream, I have accumulated a balance.  I've never paid late, or had a payment, and this feels like I'm being penalized without regard for my history.  I'm paying off my account and will not use PP Credit EVER AGAIN.  And on another note, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a contact email or phone number to actually call someone at PP to complain in person... forget it!  They make it impossible to hear from me.  Not a happy customer.

Login to Me Too

MizzW95476
New Community Member

*never had a payment rejected (ie., bounced)

Login to Me Too

I have to agree, Paypal, Paypal Credit, Amazon, Amazon Store Card=Synchrony Bank, Sam's Store Card, etc. They ALL make it nearly impossible to find a phone number to call them! So when I do....I write it down and keep it!  Here is Paypal Credit's Customer Service <removed>

Sorry, I didn't find these earlier before the actual change took place....I came here to look for specific information which I did find. Thanks to the community for that! Hope the number helps.

Login to Me Too

APRschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

Transfer to your Credit Card for 0%APR, 12 month with 3% processing fee. It's only fair to save money. 

@Debster222 wrote:

I just got a letter from PayPal saying that APR for purchases is going up from like 19% to 25.49%!!  Is this just for new purchases, or will that be applied to my current balance?

After I pay off my balance, which I will no do post haste, I'll be dumping PP Credit.  I can get credit cards for way less than that.  Ridiculous.  

Login to Me Too

APRschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

Good job, do it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.