Existing Credit User, New 24 Month 0% Offer?

richye90
Contributor
Contributor

I have a low balance currently and small credit allowance as I disabled automatic increases. I am interested in taking an offer of 24 months 0% through the website scan.co.uk for a decently large sum (over my available credit), I can get through to purchase, login on paypal and still see the 0% 24 month offer. On purchase will this check my eligibility and either increase my available funds or decline? Or will it use my remaining balance and money from another card etc?

Wondering if it's best just to ring up, I would expect if I wasn't eligible being an existing credit user and not having enough available funds on login I wouldn't see the offer?

Cheers,

Rich

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@richye90 

PayPal Credit may:

1. increase your credit limit to x amount

2. decline

3. allow the charge but increase limit to amount charged.

4. put entire charge on another linked funding source (no split payments).

(make sure all your funding sources can cover the charge in case #4 this happens)

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

richye90
Contributor
Contributor
It seems crazy that they will take an almost random action? I can't see any notice about it potentially being charged from another source either. Am I best ringing up to get a clear answer?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@richye90 

Others have reported this action, with PayPal using a linked funding source instead even after you checkout with PayPal Credit if charge is ultimately not approved because PayPal reserves the right to restrict use of the credit line depending on the circumstances of your transaction, just like a credit card would. The difference is that because PayPal is an e-Wallet will put it on your preferred funding source instead.

That's how it works. If this happens, you can ask the merchant to cancel and issue a refund. I do not recommend attempting the transaction again after that if any of your linked payment methods are not an option.

It doesn't really bear mentioning because this works the same way with the PayPal balance against your other funding sources, the preferred or back up funding source is used.

All those scenarios ARE based on eligibility, account history, risk and other factors.

The whole idea is to have money to cover your purchase, no matter the payment method or if its backed up, etc. If you cannot afford it, don't buy. Simple as that.

All of it is integrated into merchant checkout system as software and automated. It can't be overridden.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.