Allocating payments to promotional offers instead of paying in full or increasing monthly payments

doometernal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have a 4 month promotional period for dreams on my account ending on the 2nd of February. Totalling £423.20. I'd like to pay this specific amount off in full before the 2nd of February. However when I go to pay it doesn't give me the option pay off promotional balances instead only by increasing my total direct debit or paying in full. I just want to settle that balance so I don't accrue interest on it. I have 3 other promotional balances that I don't intend to pay until they are due as well as roughly £300 credit in the standard balance (total credit less promotional offers).

So if I am reading the forums correctly, with promotional balances that are 2 months within due of paying paypal will allocate anything over the minimum payment limit to the soonest ending promotional offer. So if I was to pay the minimum payment £33.61 + £423.20 remaining balance on the dreams promotional offer - £456.81 this would pay off the promotional balance in full before I accrue interest on the 2nd of February? At least this is the system in the US. Does the same apply to the UK? 

Or does it apply to the standard balance first? Since I would want to pay the promotional balance before the standard balance to not accrue 4 months of backdated interest. 

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Werusia73
Contributor
Contributor
I've got the same problem. I've paid more than minimal instalment but unfortunately doesn't go on my 4 months without fees purchase, only on my first credit without promotion. I don't know what to do. This is unnormal.
Login to Me Too

gizze
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. 

I bought my son a bike, the store was offering 12 months interest free through paypal credit. Fine, we took it. 

I also bought something else on 12 months interest free for £899. 

I have a DD set up for minimum and obviously the 12 instalments are set up anyway. 

I had a separate purchase which was on the standard 4 months interest free for £400. I logged in yesterday and there is £91.58 remaining to be paid before Feb 4th. No problem, paid £91.58 yesterday. Logged in today and it seems to have simply take it off my other items. 

You should be able to click on what purchases you wish to pay off, this is obviously designed to get you to accrue interest. I will speak to them tomorrow. 

Login to Me Too

gizze
Contributor
Contributor

OK, just spoke to someone. 

Any payments made will always go towards Instalments first, so if you have made a purchase with a company offering 12 months interest free, it will pay that first. 

After the 4 months interest free period expires she said you get between 21-25 days to pay off the full amount as it will move to an outstanding payment with interest applied. 

My interest free period ends Feb 1st, of the £399 there is £91.58 remaining. I will report back if I can pay that off with out accruing any interest charges. 

I think this is a terrible way to do things in all honesty, and will stop me using PP Credit for either 12 months interest free offers or for their own 4 month service. The two should not be linked. 

With so many stores now using paypal credit for their finance I think a lot of people will get their fingers burnt with this. 

12, 18, 24 month interest free offers need to be kept alone with an option to pay it down you wish.

All other payments should, imho, be paid off purchases which are closest to ending the interest free period first automatically. 

How it works now is....

Buy something on 24 months interest free for £1200. 

Then after a couple of months buy something else for £1000 on paypals default 4 months period with the intention of paying £250 a month. 

You pay three lots of £250 thinking you are paying the £1000 down, but it actually reduces the 24 month plan down to £1250 (less the 2 instalments of £50 you have paid, so £1150. Meaning you still owe £1000 and interest will be applied. 

So the best thing to do is leave that in your paypal account and on the day it moves to interest, then pay off the £1000. 

I hope she is right, and you do get 21-25 days to pay it off, if not I will be closing the account. 

Login to Me Too

Werusia73
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for information. I will be closing the account as well when I'll pay the rest of my instalments
Login to Me Too

Louise823
Contributor
Contributor
I rang PayPal credit today as mine ends on the 19th, I had already paid the full amount thinking it would have been applied to the promotion payment, for it only to come off overall owing credit, I can’t afford to pay the same amount again in the same month times are hard for us all at the moment, the woman told me from what I could work out is that i had up to end of March beginning of April to make the promotion payment before I will be charged interest, I honestly hope she weren’t spinning me a line
Login to Me Too

Louise823
Contributor
Contributor
I have a PayPal credit promotion ending on the 19th of February I paid the £102 thinking it was going to pay my promotion payment but had actually come of money owing for other PayPal purchases, if I don’t pay the promotion off on the 19th will I be charged interest straight away?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.