Allocating Payment to Promotional Financing Balance

msuscorpio
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to pay off a few 6 month promotional balances.  I also have some easy pay transactions on my account. At the end of last month I paid over $300 above what my minimum payment for the billing cycle and then called on 4 separate occasions to have that put towards my 6 month promotional balances.  Instead that payment all went towards my easy pay balance.  I have gotten nothing but the runaround from the overseas customer services reps.  The first 2 insisted it was done and it would show on my account in the next 72 hours which never happened. The 3rd said there have been issues with Synchrony taking over the credit system but assured me it would show by August 12th but nope....I just called again and the rep basically said that I cannot pay off these promo balances until my easy pay balances have been paid off.  This is ridiculous! I have never had a problem with allocating payments until Synchrony came into the fold.  How can I get my payments properly allocated?  I am about to just pay the whole thing off and never use this service ever again. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@msuscorpio 

The help page regarding allocation of PPC payments was deleted so all that is getting rewritten/changed, to what, no one knows. Read your PPC pdf statement to see if there is any information on how payments are applied.

Or contact PPC customer service at bottom of this page:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-credit/faq

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

msuscorpio
Contributor
Contributor

The last time I called and got a US based rep (June) she said if I wanted my payment to be allocated to a specific balance, I should call to do it all at once over the phone.  Well I tried that in the beginning of July and that overseas rep said they couldn't allocate payments until AFTER they are made. Which is why I am at where I am now. I have made A LOT of purchases with pay pal credit.  Thousands of dollars worth and ALWAYS paid them off well before they were due.  If they don't care to lose me and other customers I see posting on here about the same problem, then that's just fine with me. SEE YA! You won't get a dime out of me ever again!

Login to Me Too

mmrahul
Contributor
Contributor

When payments are applied, I have a 24 month 0% easy pay transaction that could go on up to June 2020, that takes precedence over other shorter term (6 months) transactions. Earlier, under Comenity, before Synchrony, a US based customer service rep always helped me out. They would reallocate payments month after month over requests made on he phone. Each request would take anywhere between 2 days to a week, all of this was wonderful enough for me. They even sent me emails saying a work case has been raised, and another one when it has been completed. Usually the next business day after the email saying it is completed, I see the desired changes reflected on the account. And my statements are in perfect order. 

After Synchrony took over at the end of June, I called them in the middle of July to re-allocate my last payment. It was an overseas call center. I made the same request, they assured me that the request was put in, and the "backend team" would make the update shortly. No emails. After a week, no update, I called again. And they said they would ask the "backend team" do it ASAP. A while went by, and they did it late July, and later my statement was issued and it was alright.

My next request happened at the end of July again for the next payment made. It's been 16 days as of today and I have no update. Statement date passed and the statement excluded the payment reallocation and shows balances based on their garbage allocation logic. So I started maintaining a spreadsheet of what I expect my statements to look like based on how I wanted payments allocated. I called a second time after a week and they assured me it was in the works and could take up to 2 billing cycles. That pace is disappointing. I argued that they did it within just 2 weeks (which already is too long) the last time around.....to no avail. 

A few days later I live chatted with them, and the person told me that the request is still underway. All the time, they kept insisting that the update would happen within 2 billing cycles (that's why I created the spreadsheet I mentioned above). The chat lady also did tell me that due to the volume of these requests, they are working on a feature where the users can allocate payments to individual transactions themselves, at the time of payment. I don't know how far along that feature is, or if it even will get implemented. But the fact that they told me that at all was promising. 

Login to Me Too

msuscorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Well that's good to hear but I'm not holding my breath for them to fix a flaw in their system that benefits them when dealing with uninformed consumers in the form of higher interest charges.
Login to Me Too

mmrahul
Contributor
Contributor

That was always how it was. Even before Synchrony, I have been calling them every month to have re-allocations done. Even back then, they did not acknowledge that it was a bug. In fact one of them even told me it is a feature.

Most "24 Month Easy Payments" transactions have a positive interest rate, and they do not have "accrued interest". Interest is due with every payment with "Easy Payments" transactions. So by clearing off the Easy Payments balance sooner, it was saving me interest expense. This is the order the payments are allotted, regardless of the interest rate, even 0%. 

I happened to score a 0% 24 Month Easy Payments which was apparently rare (not true based on all these people discussing). Their system is predisposed to clear Easy Payments first unless any one of the Interest Accruing transactions was approaching it's due date within 60 days.  So by doing that it was "saving" me the $0 in interest every month. 

I was not concerned of paying any interest ever, but the only issue was that I would be making bigger payments (many hundreds instead of a few hundreds) every month. And most of it would be clearing a balance that doesn't mature until Summer 2020. So I'll be paying it off sooner. What was the point of the interest free 24 month allowance then?

If Synchrony implements a payment allocation feature without having to call each month (which is infuriating since Synchrony came), they are taking things in the right direction. 

Login to Me Too

msuscorpio
Contributor
Contributor
All of my easy pay purchases are 0% for 24 mos. I simply want to pay off all of my normal 6 month 0% purchase before the easy pays and after the minimum monthly payment of course.
Login to Me Too

mmrahul
Contributor
Contributor

You'll have to call them every month after your payment posts and ask them to reallocate the extra-payment that went towards the 24 month easy payments, to the 6 months option. They take a long time and it's been a hit or miss since Synchrony. One of the Synchrony agents told me they will implement an allocation of payments feature on the online portal. But that was in Summer of 2019. I still don't see it, so I am not holding my breath for that. 

Ultimately with my 24 month easy payments, I gave up and paid it all off by 16 months or so. Because I wanted to use the 6 months options on other purchases. While the 24 month easy payment was amazing to have by itself, it was sticking out like a sore thumb when there are other transactions. My advise is that if you have this promotion and want to keep it for 24 months, don't use PayPal credit for anything else until it's paid off. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.