PayPal Credit / Synchrony "lists me as deceased"

mercyfulfate
Contributor
Contributor

Back on July 28, I made a post on this board and no one responded. It old of the woes of my PayPal Credit disappearing from my PayPal account. No way to make my payments. I've now missed 2 payments. I've been told by messenger chat to call. When I called, I was told my account was one of a few that was being affected and it would be fixed in 3-5 business days... 

Well it wasn't. 

I'm still getting emails monthly with my balance and "click here to make a payment" / "click hear to see you invoice" and when you click those links, it brings you to one of those lovely: "Sorry. It looks like nothing was found at this location. Maybe try one of the links below or a search?" screens that is actually blank with no links below. 

So I called again today, hoping for better results. 

I don't have an account# for my account since it's such an old account, but I gave my Social Security # - no Social can be found. I then gave my phone number, name, address, and was asked what the balance might be. Well apparently they found an account that matched THAT information... here's the kicker. They are claiming that THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER BELONGS TO A DISEASED INDIVIDUAL... After this "revelation" the discussion went more like this: 

Them / Me

Are you the account holder? Yes. 
Do you share the account? No. 
Have you ever shared the account? No. 
We cannot discuss the account with you further. So someone typed something in wrong or there was a system glitch.

We cannot discuss the account with you further. You need to mail us a copy of your Social Security Card, Drivers License, and a letter explaining that you are who you are and that you need the social security number to be updated for your account. Once you mail the information to us, call us back in 15 business days to follow up.

(Any attempt to get more information or say "how are you gonna fix this?" resulted in "We cannot discuss this further, but I'm going to tell you who to mail.")

I cannot begin to express how outraged I am with this. They **bleep** up and put the burden of proof on me to fix it, meanwhile, I am missing payments and I have NEVER missed payments on ANY credit card, loan, etc. Their human error could **bleep** up my credit and their customer service doesn't talk as though they even care. 

Has anyone else experienced this level of ineptness with PayPal Credit / Synchrony? If so, how did you fix it? I'm very hesitant to mail off my information to some PO Box with any expectation of anything being resolved. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

uhhhhidk
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible someone who previously lived at your address had a paypal account, and that's the information you're finding? Do you still have access to the email address you used to make your original account? I'd start there and see if you can go through normal recovery procedures because it sounds to me not like they think you're deceased, but instead they're finding a different account with a non-matching name and don't wish to proceed. Are you able to log in to your old account? I didn't catch that from your initial post.

Login to Me Too

mercyfulfate
Contributor
Contributor

I have access to my PayPal account which is how I accessed PayPal Credit. I have never accessed my PayPal Credit any other way than through the PayPal portal. I have access to the email address that has always been tied to the account (hence how I see the invoices). I have lived at the address this entire time and it was new construction when we moved in, so no one else has ever lived here. 

@uhhhidk I appreciate the point you make about them using "deceased" as a way to say mismatching Social Security # on the account and I am hopeful that they are just using the "deceased" claim as a way to say the Social Security #s don't match, but it's awfully strange that all of a sudden the account information would get changed. 

What's worse is they just expect me to mail very personal information to some random PO Box and maybe they'll get to it when they get to it, unlike other institutions that you would be mailing it to a specific individual who is personally overseeing the issue at hand.

It's all very strange to me.  

Login to Me Too

uhhhhidk
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that's profoundly strange. I hope a rep gets back to you, but sometimes decoding what they're trying to convey without directly saying it is difficult. I've had to call every two days for 6 months on my issue, so I hope yours gets resolved sooner.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.