Death of an Account holder

Blitzen
Contributor
Contributor

My mother passed away last week. We are trying to close her credit account. I need to know how I can close the account and negate the remainder balance. I have tried to call the customer service line but can not get ahold of anyone. Can anyone give me advice of what I need to do please? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Blitzen

From a recent paypal moderators post.

To close the deceased's account, we'll ask for some documents to complete the closure request:

• A cover sheet from the executor (or a person who is duly appointed or authorized to administer the estate of the deceased customer) identifying the account by the primary email address, stating that the account holder is deceased and that the executor wishes to have the PayPal account closed.
  • A copy of the death certificate for the account holder.
  • A copy of a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport or state-issued ID) of the executor of the estate.
  • Legal documentation or a copy of the will that identifies the executor of the estate.
  • Letter that specifies what to do with any money that remains in the account.

We can disburse any money that remains in the account in one of the following ways:

• The executor will request a check in the name of the deceased account holder. The executor will request the check  through the PayPal account. 
  • Transfer the balance to the bank account linked to the PayPal account. The executor will have access to the deceased customer’s bank account.

To obtain the correct fax number, you would want to reach out to our customer support team. Customer support can be reached by clicking "Help & Contact" on the PayPal website, @AskPayPal on Twitter or the PayPal Facebook page. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.