why Paypal continually makes it difficult to see a activity with running balance of your account?

jleslie48
Contributor
Contributor

First off as of today, November 11, 2019, if you login into paypal account and then type in the address bar:

https://www.paypal.com/listing/transactions

and then in the second drop down arrow box (all transaction??) change it to" balance affecting" and you can see what should be the default of any accounting system that deals with cash.   

Now this "activity with running balance" used to be default like it should be, and then it was a checkbox that you could check, then it was moved to a "history" webage, and then...  bla, bla, bla   PAYPAL CONTINUALLY MAKES A HIDE AND SEEK GAME OUT OF MY RUNNING BALANCE OF MY ACCOUNT.   

WHY???????????

ref: Can someone explain to me why Paypal continually makes it difficult to see a activity with running balance of your account?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jleslie48 

That's because that url is a backdoor workaround, it is not built in for personal accounts. If you want running balance function, please upgrade to a business account and mark your business type setting as "Individual" so you don't get the third degree for business docs (supplier invoices/proof of shipping) to verify your identity and what not if you're not a 'business', to use the more advanced 'accounting' features. We shouldn't have to, and the function should be included like you say but that's how PayPal is, I guess, differentiating between personal and business accounts or it was done away with when they merged the premiere and personal accounts together to make a basic, casual user experience vs business accounts.

Or, continue to use that link (bookmark it), or create a report that includes the running balance:

Activity > Statements > Custom > Activity Download

Select Transaction type, date range, customize report fields, and report format.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jleslie48
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker

I tried generating a pdf/csv activity report but could not get a running balance field to show up. care to give the details how to do that?

Also,   I do not accept the answer that "business"  vs "individual"  account should be distinguished by a running balance.   In fact I'd bet if the federal banking regulators got wind of how paypay has continually tried to hide this information from its customers they would blow their stacks.    

This has been a ongoing issue for some 20 years I've worked with paypay where they continually move, hide, and remove the ability to see the running balance and its dishonest.   With the above link I supplied I can see why:  the running balance doesn't work right its got mistakes in it and it seems paypal is incapable of doing simple addition and subtraction on an account balance in a spreadsheet.    Rather than fix the problem with the running balance they have opted to simply shoot the messenger and not let me see the running balance.   This is outrageous  

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jleslie48 

I guessed that is the reason, this is user to user forums. I am not an employee of PayPal. PayPal axed a lot of features when they merged personal and premiere accounts together because Premiere accounts used to have running balance and a lot of selling settings. If you want a feature, give PayPal feedback...there should be a feedback button on the bottom of the each page of the site.

Login to Me Too

jleslie48
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

my anger is not directed to you, I hope you realize that.   I am just hoping that someone from paypal is reading this as their behavior on their website is just downright awful if not outright illegal.   contacting paypal is also rather difficult, by email or feedback.  I wish there were another game in town.  

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jleslie48 

I see.

Personally, I never saw PayPal really as a bank, BANK. Just a kind of stored converted-cash-to-electronic-equivalence of money on standby middleman with the option to add cards and bank accounts solely to buy stuff online. Never expected interest, like others have, because if I wanted interest, I'd put the money in the bank, not PayPal. Interest is otherwise negligible and only worth while if one has a boatload of cash which I don't, so neither here nor there to me, others' mileage may vary of course. 🙂

But nevertheless, they are forced to comply with certain banking regulations (anti-money laundering/counter-terrorism funding measures). I don't expect much from em' so I don't get disappointed lol or just work the work-arounds to my advantage, within guidelines of course, so as to not to get steamed up and have a stroke over it.

Login to Me Too

pj43

Well, this way Paypal can keep your money because you can't find out how much you have.  Frustrating and Nasty and probably Criminal.

I don't want to use paypal any more.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.