text message - something went wrong with payment

ferreejessica
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting repeat text message that something went wrong with a payment. The text says the vendor but I don't know why I would be paying them. I also looked around on my account and saw nothing about this. I need help navigating how to figure this out. Could this be spam?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @ferreejessica,

I'm sorry to hear that you're receiving text messages that are concerning. If you have not been attempting a payment, it's possible that the messages are indicating unauthorized access, but it's also possible that the messages are spoof (fake messages from a fraudster, designed to trick you into doing something like providing private information). You can learn more here

If there's a link in the message, Please do not follow it. Only visit the PayPal website by typing the URL into a browser, to make sure that you're visiting the legitimate PayPal website. If you want to give yourself some extra peace of mind, change your PayPal password on the PayPal website. Always use a unique password that is not used on any other sites.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

ferreejessica
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replay, @PayPal_Olivia. The thing that confuses me is that I reset my password and security questions from the website (not from the link in the text) and the security code to confirm my actions was sent to the same "FREE Paypal" text chain. This makes me think it isn't a hack, unless someone is using the FREE Paypal platform... which then makes me nervous that they are getting the security codes? Feeling uncertain and unsettled about this. What do you think?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @ferreejessica,

Thank you for your reply! Let's examine this from both angles.

If the messages are legitimate, it sounds like PayPal is preventing the payments from going through, and changing your password should help protect you from further attempts.

If the text messages that you have received are fake but they appear to be coming from the PayPal text message number, your phone would filter them into the same text message thread, but only on your phone. If someone has managed to make it appear that they are texting from the same number, those messages would register in the same thread on your phone but that would not make it so they are able to see the other messages that you've been sent legitimately from PayPal. No one but you would see those security codes (as long as no one has access to your actual phone or anywhere that you're logging SMS.)

Does that help?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

jtinbc178
New Community Member

I have been the victim of a fraudulant link - I contacted Pay pal and they closed the issue right away.  Do I have any recourse.  How do I report Fraud 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.