suss email

Bianca2010
New Community Member

Hi 

Received this email today 

Dear Customer,

This is just a quick confirmation that you added a new email address ( Not my email appeared here )

If you want to make this your primary email address - where we'll send all your account-related information - log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile.

If you didn't add this email, <removed>. It's important because it helps us make sure no one is getting into your account without your knowledge.

<removed>

Sincerely,
PayPa

<removed>

This email was sent to you for the ongoing support and maintenance of your account. To manage your communication preferences, please visit our <removed>

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Centre by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email.

PayPal is committed to your privacy, learn more about our <removed>

Copyright © 2020 PayPal, Inc.,<removed> . All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID PP007 - 7e532943673e5

which then directs u to <removed>

I'm sure it's suss so I opened a new browser and logged in as usual, and there was nothing wrong with my account or email address so just thought I'd post in case anyone gets sam 

please don't follow the link.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Thornton23
New Community Member

I've had the same email, Plus another one stating "

Dear Customer,

This is just a quick confirmation that you added a new email address ( NOT MY EMAIL )

If you want to make this your primary email address - where we'll send all your account-related information - log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile.

If you didn't add this email, let us know right away. It's important because it helps us make sure no one is getting into your account without your knowledge."

Pretty sure they aren't legit

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thornton23 

@Bianca2010 

Yep looks like a typical spoof so NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pji1
New Community Member
I had the exact same email however when I tried to follow the link outlook blocked it and reported it as ‘unsafe’ thank god. So it looks like you guys on here have worked and it’s now blocked.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.