scam

Omair2
Contributor
Contributor
I received fake emails from PayPal regarding the selling of a phone... I sent 2 phones to an address given to me by the "buyer" . Later I was asked to transfer money to release the funds and out of my naivety conformed. Now I have lost out on two phones (worth £1600 and a £900 pound bank transfer) Anything I can do Thanks in advance .
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Omair2 

Wish you had checked on here first, I post the below scam in reply to questions on here about 6 times per day....

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If they scam you then they will think of other reasons for you to send them money via another payment processor which paypal would NEVER use like bank transfer or moneygram OR they would ask you to send amazon or itunes or steam vouchers etc for 'made up account issues' or 'customs charges' or 'shipping agent fees' 

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

As none of the transaction was actually done on paypals site then nothing they can do for you unfortunately as you were never paid.

All you can do is see if the post office or RM can re-direct the item back to you before it leaves the UK (if as i suspect it was an international sale).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Omair2
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I Sent 2 phones ... To the u.k... Can i do anything in regards with the fact that I sent them to the u.k
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Omair2 

Contact Royal Mail and see if you can get them returned before delivery.

If not then i would send a letter to that address requesting payment or you are considering action in the small claims court?

BUT sometimes the scammers will use a UK address and then re-direct it internationally to a forwarding address.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.