receiving payment fee

CC1217
New Community Member

Hello. I noticed that I am suddenly being charged a fee for receiving money. I have received money from a certain person before without a fee but now I am being charged. I also noticed that I am charged a fee with certain people, but not all people. I was wondering why certain people’s payments will charge a fee, and also why I am suddenly being charged?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CC1217

If you are a seller then you pay a fee, the only time you don't is if you are receiving a 'gift' ie friends / family payment when its free.

However its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CC1217

If you are a seller then you pay a fee, the only time you don't is if you are receiving a 'gift' ie friends / family payment when its free.

However its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

wilddove
New Community Member

I don't see where the response to the question was answered.  I am not a seller.  I receive a payment from my daughter once a month to pay bills that she owes.  I also receive money from individual person's.  I am going to check into Venmo if I keep getting charged fee's.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.