"pending" hell

ActiveRecovery
Contributor
Contributor

sent friend/landlady some money toward rent a few days ago.

according to my bank it was only a pending transaction on their end for a few hours, then it was completed.

but according to paypal, the funds are still pending.

in the age of the internet, why can't the transactions be instant like on Cash App?

the only thing i can think of is that paypal wants to hold funds in their own bank to collect a bit of free interest.

please guide me to the nuances of paypal's pending BS and provide and reasonable reasons for it. thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ActiveRecovery 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant because Paypal use the cheapest transfer option. (electronic transfer ie echeque).

That is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again. This is so you get your item without delay.

But if you are sending a friends/family 'gift' payment funded from your bank account then this time its you that takes the wait.

Funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later but that does not mean that Paypal have them as they go via ACH in batches. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ActiveRecovery 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant because Paypal use the cheapest transfer option. (electronic transfer ie echeque).

That is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again. This is so you get your item without delay.

But if you are sending a friends/family 'gift' payment funded from your bank account then this time its you that takes the wait.

Funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later but that does not mean that Paypal have them as they go via ACH in batches. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.