"Warning" received from PayPal Inc. is it real?

Evannen
New Community Member

Yesterday I changed my PayPal password for received a warning (which is suspect) from "Microsoft" that my system has been hacked.  I did not follow the instructions from "Microsoft" but rebooted my computer and changed passwords.  Today I received a "Warning" from Paypal Inc and had an email address associated with it that was not recognized as PayPal service <removed>.  I opened the email but did not hit the "Read more" button for I find it suspect.  Is this a legitimate email service for PayPal.  And if so, why didn't it come from the PayPal service center? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Evannen

That is a phishing attempt. This is why it's important to always go to the PayPal website directly to check if there are any transactions or notices in your account.

Here is a PayPal link with details on phishing, and an email email address at PayPal you can forward the email you received to.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake,-spoof,-or-phishing-emails-faq2340

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.