"Sorry, we could not confirm that it is you"

ogregon
Contributor
Contributor

I am a longish term PayPal user with the Business account, but due to an old dead phone number stuck as my default PayPal contact number, I was coached on killing that account and opening a personal one, as I no longer have business needs.

My first activity was to try to pay a TelCel phone bill here in Mexico, where I live currently.  With PayPal, I use a Google Voice phone number, not my Mexican cell number.  But TelCel was has  PayPal option, so I chose it (they were having trouble charging to my debit card, direct.)   

TelCel sent me right over to my PayPal account.   I had already set up 2-step authorization so it sent me a code to my Google Voice number which I entered, and got in.   I think there was another step where I needed to get a code, which I did.  Then it displayed a cheery "just one more check to make sure you are you."  When I agreed and asked for the code, immediately the "Sorry we could not confirm it is you" message.

I'm kinda puzzled.   I read some of the other answer to posts with this title, but they did not have my exact situation.   Any input appreciated!   Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ogregon 

No wonder, you have US PayPal account but trying to access it in Mexico. PayPal accounts are country specific. If you live in MX, then open an MX PayPal account. Or was it intentional that you went to open a US PayPal account to use a Google Voice number. Close US account, removing any phone numbers, financial details first.

To open MX account:

https://www.paypal.com/mx/webapps/mpp/account-selection

Or Contact customer service for assistance: 

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US, EMAIL US or online CHAT during business hours, where available.  

Or via social media:  

Facebook (MX): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalMexico/ 

Twitter (MX): @PayPalMexico  

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal 

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ogregon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input!   Not 100% sure my being in Mexico is the problem, tho.

All our cards and bank accounts are in the US, plus we have a VPN which on the internet shows we are in the US.

The Google Voice phone number lets us call US numbers from Mexico seamlessly, area code + number

Further, we are not in Mexico all the time, and may return to the US for weeks or months or maybe forever sometime.   Would not want to try to use a Mexico Paypal account when were back on the wrong side of the wall.

I think I better call customer service.  But I appreciate your help.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ogregon 

You can't use a VPN to hide your IP address and Google Voice number to pretend you're in the US using a US account and US based info. It won't work. PayPal has ways to track this for security. That's why you are having problems with the account. PayPal accounts are country specific. If you move to MX, you must open an MX account. There are federal regulations and financial regulations PayPal is oblige to follow. 

Are you using the same device as you used when living in the US? Do not use account with a VPN to obscure your location. Its all in the cookies/data saved on the device and having valid US based info, and letting PayPal know you want to use your US account while in Mexico then you can use US account properly.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ogregon1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the further advice ...

I did already kill my US PayPal account and create a MX PayPal account, but I agree it is likely I am causing my own problem to continue.   I will turn off the VPN and give a shot at a fulfilling a TelCel payment that way, although it will be a few weeks before I need to do that again.  I will advise how it went.   Thanks again.   And a tip of the sombrero for the AMAZING number of posts here, helping other PayPal users!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.