paypal and starbucks reload issue using wrong card

rangel24852000
Contributor
Contributor

Everytime I reload my starbucks code and use paypal to do so, it takes it from my discover credit card which is listed on my paypal account. However, I don't have my discover credit card listed as primary, I have my bank account and my atm card set to preferred. any reason why this may be? I even tried removing the discover card from my pay pal acct, and when I reload my starbucks card using pay pal, it still takes from discover. and It cant be a starbucks issue because I don't have any cards at all listed or connected to that account. only paypal

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rangel24852000 

When you reload Starbucks card with PayPal, is there a drop down menu anywhere in the process that specifically to let you select or change the payment source? 

Also go to your PayPal Automatic Payment settings and see what funding source is set to Starbucks:

Personal Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Pencil icon on the right to edit funding source.

Business Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Money, banks and cards > Automatic payments > Set Automatic Payments

Click Merchant link from list to edit.

When you select your Preferred Payment Method on the Wallet, it may not change the funding source that's on the billing agreement profile in the Automatic Payment settings with Starbucks so they have to be adjusted separately. And when people first make purchases with sites such as Starbucks, you will always be asked for a card as back up so in your case, the discover card would be where they take funds from. I Ioad Starbucks with PayPal debit card, at Starbuck site, never had a problem. Its not linked by billing agreement where they can take funds from where ever. And when you remove a card, its not necessarily wiped off entirely from paypal's records.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rangel24852000 

When you reload Starbucks card with PayPal, is there a drop down menu anywhere in the process that specifically to let you select or change the payment source? 

Also go to your PayPal Automatic Payment settings and see what funding source is set to Starbucks:

Personal Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Pencil icon on the right to edit funding source.

Business Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Money, banks and cards > Automatic payments > Set Automatic Payments

Click Merchant link from list to edit.

When you select your Preferred Payment Method on the Wallet, it may not change the funding source that's on the billing agreement profile in the Automatic Payment settings with Starbucks so they have to be adjusted separately. And when people first make purchases with sites such as Starbucks, you will always be asked for a card as back up so in your case, the discover card would be where they take funds from. I Ioad Starbucks with PayPal debit card, at Starbuck site, never had a problem. Its not linked by billing agreement where they can take funds from where ever. And when you remove a card, its not necessarily wiped off entirely from paypal's records.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rangel24852000
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much that worked
Login to Me Too

rangel24852000
Contributor
Contributor
Oh my god Thank you so much that was a huge help. It was under the Starbucks acct in settings.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.