just received text saying i have to confirm my identity today or my account will be closed

eastcowesvintag
Contributor
Contributor

can anyone advise if this is real or a scam please thanks 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

SL20
New Community Member
I've just received the very same text message, PayPal never usually send me text messages unless I need a code I've just ignored it as there's no sign of this action on much PayPal account
Login to Me Too

eastcowesvintag
Contributor
Contributor

yes i did the same checked my account and nothing reported on there getting really fed up with these messages from peopl e 

Login to Me Too

phreaktor
Contributor
Contributor

If you have to ask...  All you need to do is see where the link directs you to.  Paypal.com?  Real.  Not Paypal.com?  Fake. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eastcowesvintag 

@phreaktor 

Never click on a link in an email or text, it could take you to a convincing FAKE paypal page and they hijack your log in details

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

phreaktor
Contributor
Contributor
If the link doesn’t start with PayPal.com, it’s not PayPal, no matter how convincing the phishing page is. Th wonky purpose of visiting the link would be to determine is it is fake with the mindset that it is a fraudulent page because PayPal doesn’t threaten to “close your account” if you don’t log in.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@phreaktor 

As i said DO NOT click on any link, you don't need to 'determine' if a paypal page is fake or not as paypal do not tell you to click on links in emails apart from the x1 per month email they send out to everyone.

If you click on a link then it may instal malware etc.

Not good advice to give anyone.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.