info customer needs to send payment

marydc
New Community Member

What information will a customer need to send me a paypal payment. Is my name and my buisiness name enough info?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marydc

The email address you use with paypal identifies your paypal account and is all someone needs to pay you.

Or you can send a money request from your paypal account to their paypal email address for them to pay. You may be subject to the 'new seller hold' (info on that in link below), BUT once cleared you can click on 'withdraw/transfer funds' and send it to any linked bank account.
(https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/funds-availability)

HOWEVER be very careful as lot of scam merchants about. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. A lot of scammers encourage you to accept a paypal payment and if you don't have an account ask you to open one.

2. Do not get scammed via spoof emails that look as if they are from paypal.

3. Never send anything unless the funds are showing in your paypal account balance, even if you are a new seller and subject to the new seller hold the funds would still show in your balance but have pending by them.

4. Do NOT send anything to Nigeria or similar.

5. Do not be fooled by you so called buyer and "paypal" telling you that you either have to >>>

a. Send the item and provide a tracking number BEFORE the funds show in your balance.

b. You have to pay the buyers shipping agent via western union or moneygram before his payment that is supposed to include these costs are credited to you.

6. Do not accept payment for sales using the family / friends option.

7. Remember sellers send invoices and not buyers so if you get an invoice "marked as gift / paid" and saying it won't show in your balance for 24 hours or that your payment can't be the subject of a chargeback.....its a scam.

If in doubt come here and ask and also read up on paypals seller protection first so you can risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @marydc,

Thank you for your post! As mentioned, you can give your email address to the customer, or you can send an invoice or money request from your account.

Also, the anti-scam tips that @kernowlass shared are great, and are based on a lot of experience selling and having seen a lot of scams crop up over the years.

Things have changed a little over time, and that leads me to point out one thing that I would suggest viewing slightly differently. 

For suggestion number 4, I would broaden the scope a bit. If someone asks you to ship to any address that differs from the address in the transaction details on the PayPal site, that's when you should proceed with extra caution. That goes for any country. PayPal does offer service to Nigeria that allows the sending of payments. If the shipping address in the transaction details on the PayPal site lists an address in Nigeria, that is the address that should be used for delivery. 

For additional tips on spotting scams, please check out this article.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Olivia

Will update my advice on that one, thanks.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @kernowlass,

Awesome! Thank you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.