cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake invoice

Highlighted
New Community Member

Re: fake invoice

Just got this fake invoice from "Go Daddy" as well and immediately saw it as a scam and didn't even consider paying them. I'm trying to find some "report" option for the invoice but can't find any. How can we report these PayPal??
Highlighted
Contributor

You can't. And PayPal doesn't care.

Highlighted
Contributor

Anyone have a contact that could ask about how Paypal fights invoice fraud on the next earnings call? Paypal can answer it...they don't want reduced public or Wall Street confidence in their system with Venmo and other platforms gaining.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yep, just happened to me. I didn't pay it but asked them to remove it and they basically said **bleep** you. I will not be using PayPal for any more of my invoicing. I have other options. PayPal, you need to protect your customers from fraudulent invoices.
Highlighted
Contributor

Still happening.  The only reason this is more dangerous, is because 1)  It's sent from a valid email, and good standing company (PayPal).  2)  The copywrited Logo is attached.   The invoice contains the actual Logo of GoDaddy, who you own the domain with.  This may be the only thing PayPal might find themselves in hot water for, as they have been notified of (illicit use of trademarked Logo with intent to scam), which is a picture from their own website. 

Link to GoDaddy TradeMark Logo:   https://pics.paypal.com/00/s/OTJYMzI3WFBORw/p/NTAxZmM1M2MtYzVjNS00NTBjLWI1ZTUtM2NjZDFkYzRiZDQz/image...

Because this scam is missing the major red flags (unidentified sender email, unidentified domain, unidentified URL in links - these are all major corporations), a lot of people are falling for them.  I do not know the legal ramifications of going about this type of activity, but potentially only the sender would be liable for trademark infringment, as there does not seem to be a real scam in those emails other than a fake invoice.  

Highlighted
Contributor

This is a very crafty Phish and seems to be a very effective exploit on PayPal services and customers. Also i just received it 10 minutes ago. I didn't pay it / no other info matches other than email and domain.
Highlighted
Contributor

My wife received one from GoDaddy last week and unfortunately she paid it.  Someone is making some money on this, not just PayPal.

We opened a dispute about the scam with PayPal and guess what....response was "Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal payment history."

How can a company allow fake invoices to be created and not allow any recourse when people are scammed on their platform.  Would be nice to see a "This is a scam invoice" button next to transactions so they can be easily reported when you spot them.

I guess PayPal does not care as they get paid transaction fees no matter what happens.

I logged a Consumer Report with the FTC about PayPal and its lack of responsibility around scams.  They laughingly even list 24x7 Transaction Security  and Fraud Prevention as something they do...NOT.

The charge went direct to Credit Card, so I might try them next to see if they can do anything as the transaction was result of scam.  Doubt they will as they likely will say PayPal is the problem.

Highlighted
Contributor

Just got TWO of these!! I sent an email to spoof@paypal.com and got zero response aside from the initial auto-response. Luckily I did not pay them because I knew my renewal dates were a year away! 😖

PaypalFakes.jpg

Highlighted
Contributor

Exactly right: the invoice is coming from PayPal, not the scammer. PayPal is sending an invoice with a trademarked logo image that is hosted on their domain. At the very least, PayPal should be screening the logos that are being used on invoices. It is a trivial thing to do from a software standpoint. One might argue that PayPal is being negligent in not doing this in the same way one would claim Facebook was being negligent if they were to start letting inappropriate user-submitted content appear in news feeds.
Highlighted
Contributor

I recovered my money from my bank. Since Paypal debited my bank on this fake invoice scam from Paypal 

I told my bank it was fraud. After a lengthy debate my bank credited me the money. Paypal told me I had 

no chance of getting a credit even though I gave them all the information about the scam,