fake invoice

srubin
New Community Member

I received in my email a fake invoice from what appeared to be Go Daddy. It looked authentic and was for a website that I purchased through Go Daddy.

I paid the $53.00 by American Express thru Paypal. When I saw a Russian email address for the payment I asked Go Daddy about it and they said it was fake--and a very good one. I asked Paypal to refund the transaction and they said they could not. How does Paypal allow such users? This is clearly misuse of Paypal.

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

slaskey
Contributor
Contributor

did you ever get this resolved?    fake invoice appeared in my account today

Login to Me Too

reven45
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal gets a cut of the transaction, so they have no incentive to stop this. There is no report button and when you email the invoice to them as requested earlier in this thread they respond 2-3 days later that the invoice is legit. Then they ignore follow up emails. 

Login to Me Too

Ardath
New Community Member

SAME happened to me

Login to Me Too

thegrimmsleeper
New Community Member

How infuriating. I also just received an invoice from someone through PayPal for a domain that I own, just a day before it's due to renew. After double-checking with GoDaddy and confirming I did NOT set it up to use PayPal, I cancelled the invoice and in the notes said I would report seller for sending me a fraudulent invoice. Silly me, thinking PayPal would have some path to report sellers who do this. Anyone can create a PayPal account and just start sending out invoices, and PayPal apparently does nothing to prevent this or protect its users. This fake account should be suspended immediately. The "name" on the account invoice is "FUBOCGJDY." Bad enough that these people are perpetrating this fraud, it's far worse that PayPal's response is to shrug and say, oh well, not our fault. Providing resolution against sellers who send out false invoices should be common sense and a basic service.

Login to Me Too

mad_user

I have the same issue with a Russian invoice. Paypal is worthless they just keep sending me messages to click Cancel. Cancel does nothing!! They have a security breach and can't deal with it. How safe is Paypal??

Login to Me Too

Smzr
New Community Member
Just got this fake invoice from "Go Daddy" as well and immediately saw it as a scam and didn't even consider paying them. I'm trying to find some "report" option for the invoice but can't find any. How can we report these PayPal??
Login to Me Too

reven45
Contributor
Contributor

You can't. And PayPal doesn't care.

Login to Me Too

fintechb29
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have a contact that could ask about how Paypal fights invoice fraud on the next earnings call? Paypal can answer it...they don't want reduced public or Wall Street confidence in their system with Venmo and other platforms gaining.

Login to Me Too

clayphoto
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, just happened to me. I didn't pay it but asked them to remove it and they basically said **bleep** you. I will not be using PayPal for any more of my invoicing. I have other options. PayPal, you need to protect your customers from fraudulent invoices.
Login to Me Too

bgsul23
Contributor
Contributor

Still happening.  The only reason this is more dangerous, is because 1)  It's sent from a valid email, and good standing company (PayPal).  2)  The copywrited Logo is attached.   The invoice contains the actual Logo of GoDaddy, who you own the domain with.  This may be the only thing PayPal might find themselves in hot water for, as they have been notified of (illicit use of trademarked Logo with intent to scam), which is a picture from their own website. 

Link to GoDaddy TradeMark Logo:   https://pics.paypal.com/00/s/OTJYMzI3WFBORw/p/NTAxZmM1M2MtYzVjNS00NTBjLWI1ZTUtM2NjZDFkYzRiZDQz/image...

Because this scam is missing the major red flags (unidentified sender email, unidentified domain, unidentified URL in links - these are all major corporations), a lot of people are falling for them.  I do not know the legal ramifications of going about this type of activity, but potentially only the sender would be liable for trademark infringment, as there does not seem to be a real scam in those emails other than a fake invoice.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.