email scammer alert!

jhppu
Contributor
Contributor

My wife, who doesn't have a PayPal account just received the following message, containing a suspicious link at the bottom ...

"PayPal: Your account is limited due to a failed payment request. Please login at <removed> to remove the restriction."

I changed the address for obvious reasons.

The message was received on 20/08/2019 at 19:54 GMT from this UK mobile number: +<removed>. It's a Vodaphone number.

I tried finding an easy way to notify PayPal about this security issue, but couldn't find an easy method, so I'm posting it here.

If there are any PayPal employees listening, please report this asap.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B521 

@jhppu 

What can paypal do? These are one of hundreds of spoof / fake emails sent daily randomly to try and con you.

Just remember that paypal does not ask you to resolve limitation issues via an unsafe link in an email.

They would direct you to the resolution centre in your paypal account.

Send it to spoof@paypal.com or just delete it.

They are sent using hijacked or throwaway email accounts from an anonymous internet cafe working out of somewhere in Africa, so not sure action fraud can do anything about it as its been ongoing for at least the 15 years I have been helping on here.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

B521
New Community Member

I had a similar text today from vodophone mobile<removed>: PayPal: Your account is limited due to a failed payment request. Please log in at (address removed) to remove the restriction. I reported it to action fraud. Paypal - please undertake daily proactive monitoring to immediately subpoena and take down these sites as they appear.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B521 

@jhppu 

What can paypal do? These are one of hundreds of spoof / fake emails sent daily randomly to try and con you.

Just remember that paypal does not ask you to resolve limitation issues via an unsafe link in an email.

They would direct you to the resolution centre in your paypal account.

Send it to spoof@paypal.com or just delete it.

They are sent using hijacked or throwaway email accounts from an anonymous internet cafe working out of somewhere in Africa, so not sure action fraud can do anything about it as its been ongoing for at least the 15 years I have been helping on here.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.