ebay gift card to verify purhase

iszik
New Community Member

somebody said they are sending me 1500 but i need to buy a 50 dollar ebay card to verify the purchase is this scam ????

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Darianp22 and everyone who's posted in the thread or who may be reading this later,

Thank you all for posting! Thank you also for your concern and caution. 

Fees collected by PayPal are never collected in the form of gift cards or separate payments, and there is never a need to spend money for any type of verification.  If any buyer or sender of funds ever tells you that you need to buy gift cards or send any money in order to receive funds, it is a scam. If this occurs, it is very likely that you have not received a payment at all.

Payments legitimately sent to you are received into your account and your transaction history will show the activity, even if the payment is temporarily held. If you receive an email that says that you have received a payment but one does not show in your history, that email should be treated as suspicious.

I hope this helps clarify. Please stay safe!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@iszik 

Yes, it is a scam. You will not be paid the $1500 but would be scammed of $50. Repeat and eventually the fraudsters shall make considerable amounts from multiple victims. PayPal does not ask you to buy gift cards before showing your payment, IF that person REALLY paid. You just see a record of payment in your PayPal account which will tell you to ship or not. Your buyer may not even have a PayPal account, just sending you spoof PayPal emails.

Forward them to spoof@paypal.com and delete the emails.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

quincig91
New Community Member
Some guy just act like he could send me for 600 a week. To be his sugarbaby. 😂😂😂😂 He said I need to buy a $50 eBay gift card. In order for him to verify. He sent me a picture. It says the receiver needed to buy a $50 gift card in order to verify it being sent. But it wouldn't send it until after I got the $50 gift card. LMAO! I told him he could send me 400 or 500. And by his own $50. EBay gift card and verify himself He's got enough money to send 600 a week. He can buy his own $50 eBay gift card. And only send 400 or 500. Then I sent him a screenshot of your response on here saying its a scam. He stopped responding. LMAO!
Login to Me Too

Javin1
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I tried to become a sugar baby and the same thing with me. First they told me to purchase $50 eBay gift and then I told them that I wasn’t doing that because it was suspicious so then he told me to buy any amount I could afford. So, like a dumby, just to see if this could be real, I bought a small $10 card, and then he told me there was a insufficient eBay card rate and sent me a screenshot that just looked fake, if you want it I can show you it won’t let me post here, and he couldn’t explain to me why I needed the card except that “That’s how it works” and then told me go and BUY A $100 card, that’s when I was like I’m being scammed and I came on here to look and i was right. And when I confronted them with the screenshot of this page he didn’t even acknowledge what you guys said except that he isn’t going to do this with people with trust issues and then I cursed him called him a **bleep** and then left it at that. Don’t fall for it!! I can show you the fake **bleep** screenshot if you want. You don’t need no damn eBay gift card.
Login to Me Too

Brookie091
New Community Member
I sent them my link and now I’m really worried that they’ll hack my bank account did you have any problems after you stopped speaking to them?
Login to Me Too

Belongbeloved
Contributor
Contributor
No but change all your passwords and watch your account for fraud
Login to Me Too

Maylynn86
Remove your bank from PayPal. I didnt link any accounts to my pay pal
Login to Me Too

iLuna03
Contributor
Contributor
I had the exact same one saying that he was gonna send me $600 but then asked for a $50 voucher to verify the transfer. The photo edit was so poorly done too. I didn’t but it coz I felt like something was wrong so I searched about it in advance and found the same stories here. Thanks for all your thoughts and for the help!
Login to Me Too

Maylynn86
Thank you your comment has made alot of them disappear lmao
Login to Me Too

swimsavannah98
New Community Member
Some guy named Dennis tried to pull this on me and sent me a screenshot of the supposed $3000 he sent me and told me that in order for the money to be sent through I had to get an eBay card so he could put in the code. I figured it had to be a scam so I googled it and found this thread of people it had happened to before. It’s just sad that people like him think we’re stupid enough to not do research before giving away our money like that.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.