company wants me to pay using friends and family only!

caymanblack
Contributor
Contributor

As above i want to pay for some work i had done with paypal but the chap is saying he will only accept PP if i do with friends and family payment or directly into his bank. i want to pay him as a business transaction. ??

Should i just send the money as i want ,i.e Business payment.

Thx.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

You can try to contact customer service and there are security contacts on this link.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@caymanblack

Well if you do then he can refund you and ask for payment another way.

However its against Paypal rules for a seller to ask for payment using the friends / family option OR for you to pay using that option and can lead either of you in having your accounts limited. Paypal do not like losing fees and it would negate your buyer protection.

You should really have sorted this out prior to the work being done.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

caymanblack
Contributor
Contributor

well his company has the PP logo so i would not of dreamed it would come to this , i just expected to pay the normal PP way. he sell on ebay does he ask them to do the same , i doubt it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@caymanblack

Well you are correct, if the PP logo is on his website then he should accept your paypal payment HOWEVER you send it OR fund it.

So as he has stated he will accept paypal then i would go ahead and pay using the goods / services option.

Then if he refunds you then that is his problem as you 'paid' him and he voluntarily returned the funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If you are paying for a service or making a purchase and use the friends and family option - you have no proof that this was a business transaction - should something go wrong and you would like a refund - there's no buyer protection nor will opening a dispute will work.   From PayPal's perspective, your transaction simply looks like one person sending money to another person.  The person who is requesting the payment wants to avoid paying any fees - which benefits him but, not so good for you.

Login to Me Too

caymanblack
Contributor
Contributor

This is my point, this company advertises PP as a payment along with credit cards so why then first ask me to pay directly into his bank and then when i ask to pay PP he says no  then when i say he says PP he says ok but pay through family and friends as this is the only way we can accept PP.

Really i want to report this to PP as to me this is unacceptable. Am i wrong and how do i inform PP that someone advertises payment with them then refuses to accept it. Tia.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

You can try to contact customer service and there are security contacts on this link.

Login to Me Too

Mikethepainter
Contributor
Contributor
Really you want to report the guy because he would rather have his funds available immediately? He did perform the work correct? It was a satisfactory job?? I could see if he was asking for a deposit or something and you wanted the protection in case he ran off with payment...however from the sounds of it he didnt charge you a deposit to me it sounds like he performed the work and now he would like his payment in the quickest manner possible. He cannot fill out a receipt for you to prove its a business payment? What was your issue with transferring to his bank account? Like I said if the work was completed I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with his payment method. Now not only are you going to drag out his payment but you wish to get him in trouble over it!? Lmao and you other people totally agree!?!!? Jesus! This is why I have a square card reader now from dealing with "by the book goody 2 shoes rich folk" who thinks everyone has 100k in the bank to sit around and be funded for work thats been performed already. Just for the record he asked you to pay him that way because PayPal screws contractors around and it would most likely take him 30 to 45 days or as long as 90 days for him receive that payment!!! At which time you could cancel it on him anyway! Not saying you would but honestly would you like to wait 30 to 45 days on work your performed and perhaps had material cost and labor tied up on!? You received the work. You have no risk involved in making the payment at this point. Not only can you type in the notes of the payment "this is final payment for work performed at *address" but I'm positive hed be happy to give you something in writing as well. You looks should really place your selves in the common mans shoes. contracting is a hard business with alot of overhead as far as material,labor,insurance and licensing costs. When you have kids,mortgage and bills to pay the last thing you wanna do is sit and wait 45 days to be paid for work you performed. I hope you didn't report the poor guy and hurt his ability to accept PayPal payments in the future. Hopefully he got his payment in a reasonable amount of time. Like I said its different if it was an upfront payment or deposit but a payment for work already performed?? Who gives a damn about the fine print payment "rules" it wasn't hurting anybody and you assumed no risk over it
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.