clicked on link in phishing scam on iPhone - did I install something on my phone?

Jaxeroo
New Community Member

I just got a scam/phishing email from "paypal" saying a charge was made to my account for $99 and the Nike item was being shipped to some person in Ohio. I thought it was suspicious, but wasn't paying attention so clicked on the "cancel order" link at the bottom of the email. It took me to a "Paypal" login screen. Because I never login to paypal from my phone I decided to leave it to deal with when I got home.  Did something get installed on my phone by clicking the cancel now link, or was it just taking me to a site that was going to scrape my information if I tried to login to Paypal?  Just want to know if I need to remove any programs from my iPhone. How would I know if I had a virus on my phone?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jaxeroo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. I would recommend running an antivirus scan on your device in order to make sure that your phone is secure. Then, I would also recommend changing the password and security questions of your PayPal account to make sure that your account is safe. You can do so from the section 'Security' of your PayPal account. 

Regarding the message that you received, you can recognise if an email is fake (also called phishing emails) when the greeting is impersonal or generic or if it does not mention your name and surname as registered on your PayPal account. Also, we never send messages that require you to click on links or to download attachments and that convey a strong sense of urgency. Here you can find more information. 

If you still have the email, you can forward it to spoof@paypal.com so we can investigate it further.

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.