added fees

amtw50
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently used my paypal account to pay a seller on EBAY. I noticed on my statement there was an additional charge to Brenda Raygoza. What is this? Am I going to be charged this fee in addition to shipping and handling fees?

USA

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Buster08
Contributor
Contributor

The additional charge is sales tax.  eBay is now collecting sales tax on most purchases, but the tax is charged as a separate transaction so you will see two transactions for every purchase:
1) Payment for the item including any S&H.  eBay will take out its fees and send the balance to the seller. 
2) Sales tax (the amount of sales tax depends on where you have the item shipped to), which goes to eBay's treasury department. Brenda Raygoza is eBay's employee responsible for collecting sales taxes, so she's listed as the recipient.  eBay doesn't keep the taxes.  They eventually send the sales tax to your state/city/county...  monthly or quarterly.

Login to Me Too

DRATT
New Community Member

Is there any documentation, evidence, or accounting to prove that the funds are actually being paid to my state? (Texas)  

The Stamp Act of 1765 

Login to Me Too

Buster08
Contributor
Contributor
EBay being a non-government enterprise, you can’t force them to make their detailed accounting records public. But the State of Texas could easily audit eBay’s books by threatening to not allow eBay to do business in Texas. Take it up with your state representative.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.