World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@Kimmy0221 wrote:
I got a invoice for $50 from the World Health Organization on my paypal accout today. I contacted paypal but I haven't heard anything.

Its not from the WHO. Its from some yahoo creating invoices and sending them to random Paypal users. There is no hack, your account isn't compromised. You don't have to do anything. Let it sit there and rot. 

Login to Me Too

Hashmil
Contributor
Contributor

So my invoice shows this web address. https://covid19responsefund.org/en/ (hyperlink removed. you can copy+paste to visit it)

Based on a bit of Googling, i found out that any other address other than the official link under www.who.int are all fake. The official link for Covid relief is this: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate 

The official link is also mentioned on this release from Staffordshire Police - https://www.supportstaffordshire.org.uk/sites/default/files/1.%20Cyber%20Advice%20Covid%2019.pdf 

Below is the screenshot of my Invoice with the scam web address. A who-is lookup shows that it's registered via Godaddy, who generally are good with taking down scammy sites. Maybe if enough people tweet to Godaddy?

Pasted_Image_15_08_2020__12_51.png

EDIT - had to add all the links again without the hyperlinks, as paypal just removes them!

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Actually that web address appears to be real and legit and if you scroll down on that very page it tells you about this exact scam. So the invoice is fake but the website is real. Please note: There have been some cases reported of people fraudulently presenting themselves as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and/or sending invoices requesting payment on behalf of the Fund. WHO, the UN Foundation, or the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will never contact you for your credit card or banking details. Please see our FAQ to learn more about the ways you can legitimately give to the Fund. You may also report scams here.
Login to Me Too

Ramassi
Contributor
Contributor

I received a $50 invoice claiming to be for the COVID relief fund from WHO. The account that sent the invoice has the name “Senia <removed>.” I tried disputing the invoice through the “Resolution Center” but PayPal does not allow me to do so citing their “User Agreement.” And it looks like I can’t get a hold of any human being from PayPal customer service to get any help.

Login to Me Too

Kalliope84

I also just received an invoice from Senia <removed> for $50. I can’t cancel the invoice due to the User Agreement apparently and can’t contact anyone real at PayPal either.

Login to Me Too

Ravenshoe
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to cancel the invoice.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Wow how nice of you to come on a thread where 100 people are complaining about not being able to remove something and providing them so much detail about how you accomplished the task like what device you used and what app and what steps.. you're such a great person we should all just send you some PayPal money. 🙄 😡
Login to Me Too

lovelycreations
Contributor
Contributor

I got one from Senia too. What were the steps you took to cancel the invoice?

Login to Me Too

Jeepgirlsauni
Contributor
Contributor

I received an invoice for $50 this morning too! I want it deleted altogether so it doesn’t accidentally get paid. Does anyone know how to do that?  UPDATE: I figured out how to delete it & also reported it to PayPal. Hopefully no one falls for this scam. Thanks for the thread & the help! 

Login to Me Too

jrjanis
Contributor
Contributor

The Invoice can be canceled. Go to your Activity list.  You should see a cancel button.  You can include a nice message that is sent to the solicitor when you do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.