World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

lawandus
Contributor
Contributor

I received this invoice a few days ago and just noticed it in my PayPal account today. I was able to successfully cancel the invoice request by doing the following:

1. Click "Activity" from the nav bar

2. Scroll down to the transaction line item

3. Click the drop down arrow next to "Pay" on the right side of the transaction line

4. From the dropdown menu, select "Cancel"

5. A dialogue box opens up and allows you to cancel the request and also add a note

I put "UNAUTHORIZED REQUEST" in the notes section and successfully canceled it. Hope this helps you all!

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@lawandus wrote:

I received this invoice a few days ago and just noticed it in my PayPal account today. I was able to successfully cancel the invoice request by doing the following:

1. Click "Activity" from the nav bar

2. Scroll down to the transaction line item

3. Click the drop down arrow next to "Pay" on the right side of the transaction line

4. From the dropdown menu, select "Cancel"

5. A dialogue box opens up and allows you to cancel the request and also add a note

I put "UNAUTHORIZED REQUEST" in the notes section and successfully canceled it. Hope this helps you all!

I have no dropdown arrow next to this line item. Only completed transactions have this. The WHO invoice has a side arrow > which takes you to the invoice with the only option being to pay it. The Cancel button on the line item takes you to the invoice with the only option being to pay it.

Login to Me Too

lawandus
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you're on the latest version of the PayPal platform, but the method above worked for me and the request is no longer visible in my account.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@lawandus wrote:

Not sure if you're on the latest version of the PayPal platform, but the method above worked for me and the request is no longer visible in my account.

What 'version?' ...whatever version is being served to me on the website. How would I know what 'version' it would be, or that there would be different versions of Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

lawandus
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal runs various beta versions to users periodically to test upcoming features and changes. Can you post a screenshot of the line item for this request and what shows up when you're hovering over the "Pay" button on the right side of the line item? There should be a menu that's exposed which is where you cancel the request.

Login to Me Too

SunnyDays
Contributor
Contributor

To: ChrisCooling: I am the OP of this thread. Half of the posts on this topic are from you. It could be considered spamming. You also forgot to insult those posters, like you did to me.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
What did you use? The app? Android or iPhone? A web browser? Mobile? Computer? This does not work for me either period. I have tried both in Android app and web browser.
Login to Me Too

russojar
Contributor
Contributor

I did the same thing but wrote "Cease and Desist"

Login to Me Too

SJacquel
Contributor
Contributor
The same is happening to me.... no apparent way to cancel this and I’m getting frustrated!!
Login to Me Too

dsanner106
Contributor
Contributor

this absolutely does not work, it should, but clicking cancel goes directly to payment mode and asks what tip amount I want to add. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.