Will my paypal transaction go through if my bank account is NSF?

amerity
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all, Recently I was scammed into transferring $550.00 to purchase an item through a PayPal Me account which never asked if the transaction was business (it was for a purse) or friends/family transfer, which is obviously was not. I have all the messages proving it was for the purpose of a sale, but This link apparently is considered a friends/family payment which PayPal doesn’t cover me for. The seller of this item is fake and has disappeared on me. I called my bank to reverse the payment (it is linked to my savings account). My bank suggested removing all money from my savings to a balance of $0, which will result in the PayPal payment bounce NSF, I will be charged a fee but the person will not get the money. Is this what will happen? Or will i owe that money no matter what? As of now nothing has processed. Will this work as I don’t want this person to have my money of course. Any tips would be helpful.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Callie

Hi @amerity

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Depending on the way the money was originally sent, the person who was supposed to receive the money potentially still will. If you paid using a bank account, the payment would process as an Instant Transfer which means that PayPal fronts the money while we wait for the bank to process it. If we front the money, this means that the person would get the money immediately and PayPal would look to get the money back. This could cause your PayPal balance to go negative if we cannot retrieve the money. 

If you need further assistance with this, I would recommend reaching out to us through Facebook or Twitter. If you do not have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can always go to the bottom of any PayPal page and click "Help" or "Contact."

Hope that helps! 

Callie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.