Why the higher PayPal fee?

LindaLooUK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks

My understanding is that fees from selling via eBay (using PayPal) are 2.90% plus 30p.  I'm in the UK.

I've just sold an item to someone whose address is in London but I've been charged 3.40% plus 30p.

The item (inc postage) sold for £72.  The seller's name is (I think) Italian so is it possible that his account is actually in Europe even though his address is in London hence the higher fee? - sorry if that's a daft question! 🙂

Any ideas as to why this transaction is attracting a higher fee?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LindaLooUK 

He may have a UK address but was paying you from Italy and so the higher fee.

However check his paypal registered address as his ebay one may be UK but he may pay you with his Italian paypal with an Italian address?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LindaLooUK 

He may have a UK address but was paying you from Italy and so the higher fee.

However check his paypal registered address as his ebay one may be UK but he may pay you with his Italian paypal with an Italian address?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LindaLooUK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the reply. The notification from PayPal about the payment states he's located in London so I've sent him a quick question asking if he wouldn't mind confirming whether he originally registered with PayPal outside the UK - I don't think there's a way for me to check that is there (?)

Login to Me Too

LindaLooUK
Contributor
Contributor

Just to confirm that the buyer has now confirmed that he used his PayPal account that he has in Italy so that's fine and explains the fee difference. 👍

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.