Why Have I Been Charged A Fee For Receiving Money

dmartin85
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

My friend has sent me money and I have been charged a fee. They have sent me money on maybe 5 or 6 occasions and this has now happened the last two times. They have used the balance in their PayPal account (which more than covered it) and not their bank card, so I don't understand why this has happened?

Thanks.

Dan

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dmartin85 

Its down to how the payment was SENT to your account.

1. If they sent using money > goods / services option then paypal would see you as a seller and charge you a fee.

2. If they had sent using the send money > family / friends option then you would have had the payment with no fee. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dmartin85
Contributor
Contributor

I see. PayPal has changed the interface. So now when you send money it auto-selects "Paying for an item or service" and does not stipulate the recipient will pay a fee!

Thanks for the great answer @kernowlass, I will inform my friend.

And PayPal, if you're listening, thanks for costing me money. Well played!

Login to Me Too

NavyWings
New Community Member

PayPal didn't cost you money. Your friend cost you money by not knowing how to use the interface and send you money OR you cost yourself money by not informing your friend beforehand on how to send you money to avoid a fee.

Login to Me Too

Richard_1988
Contributor
Contributor
In my case, I even looked at my friend's phone to make sure that she sent it the correct way, and she did indeed send it as a friends and/or family payment directly from her PayPal balance. I was still charged a fee to receive the payment. I don't understand.... Is there any other reason why they would be charging me a fee to receive money?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.