What to do if I have sent money to a wrong email address?

jane661
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, so i recently wanted to send a relative some money for their birthday but ended up sending it to the email but instead of .co.uk I sent it to .com which is some other random person. the payment is marked as complete and I have contacted the person by email but no response. I have tried to open a dispute on paypal but have heard nothing and now the case has dissapeared. it used to say there were unresolved case on my summary page yet when i click on the link, under case summary it says 0 open cases and no other details of my problem. what can I do to actually get in contact with paypal and try to get my money back? thanks you in advance. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jane661

How did you SEND the funds ie friends / family OR goods / services.

How did you FUND that paypal payment ie bank account OR a debit / credit card?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jane661
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I sent it to friend/family, and deposited to paypal with my visa debit card. thank you. paypal have not been responding to me. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jane661

As it was a family / friends gift transaction then you would not be able to open a Paypal dispute.

All you can do is email the other party and ask if they will voluntarily refund you (and that is all Paypal can do for you as well).

If you had funded it via a credit card then your card issuer 'may' have chargedback for you but sometimes they do not do so as it was not a payment for goods.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.