What if I don't own a mobile phone? Why no option to state this fact?

fyoung17
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting popups that ask for my mobile phone # for security.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fyoung17 

If your account is hacked or paypal need to verifty your i.d. then the main and easiest way is to send a text to the phone linked to that paypal account.

Its easy enough to get a cheap one to keep for security reasons.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

fyoung17
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@fyoung17 

If your account is hacked or paypal need to verifty your i.d. then the main and easiest way is to send a text to the phone linked to that paypal account.

Its easy enough to get a cheap one to keep for security reasons.

That all may be true, but I'm not going to get a mobile phone, contract, etc & all that goes w/ it "just in case"! There are other ways to get/notify me, as they would in the pre-mobile phone era!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fyoung17 

Personally it doesn't bother me what you do. You asked why you kept getting the pop so I told you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fyoung17
Contributor
Contributor

So far, my question as to why there is no way to state you don't have a mobile phone, has not been addressed and the pop-up continues to be there every time I log in to PayPal I think the question should be answered by PayPal--only they know why there is no by-pass check box if you don't own a mobile phone.

Fred

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fyoung17 

The answer is that they expect you to have a mobile phone.

To use online buying and selling a phone is pretty much vital.

Your question is similar to someone applying for a job involving driving and then asking what to do if you haven't got a car !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fyoung17
Contributor
Contributor

To kernowlass:

I appreciate that you are there to reply, as no one else seems to be, but I can't believe I'm the only person left that doesn't own a mobile phone, so that's why they don't have an "opt out" button! You, apparently, don't understand how ANYONE, in this day & age, could NOT have a mobile phone!

I have been Selling & Buying on EBay since 2001 & NOT A SINGLE TIME have I ever said "Gee, this would be so much easier if I had a mobile phone". The fact remains---You don't need one!

Fred

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fyoung17 

Well no i can't believe anyone would not own a phone to be honest.

Secondly you do need one or you may hit problems, as you appear to be doing now and the reason paypal are asking you to add one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fyoung17
Contributor
Contributor

We keep getting sidetracked from my original, simple, basic question!---  When I log into PayPal a question faces me before it will go to My Page--enter your mobile phone #, w/ NO PLACE to state you do not have one, so you can get on to where you want to go! Since it's not "life or death" if you don't have one, why not a simple check box to say NO PHONE!!!

I am having NO PROBLEM other than that basic query!

I thought this Forum was to get answers, not to " suppose things" about why I asked the ?? in the 1st place!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fyoung17 

There is NO option to say NO phone because Paypal EXPECT you to have one and REQUIRE you to add one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.