What constitutes a "merchant" for the upcoming March 12th policy updates?

Zedrin
Contributor
Contributor

I am a small time artist who uses a paypal business account to process commissions via invoices. Come March 12th, some changes are being made, and I need to know if they apply to me.

What is the definition of a 'merchant' according to paypal? Do independent artists fit this category, or does it apply more to people who run things like storefronts?

For context, this is from the policy update page. In particular, the thing that concerns me is requiring a phone number. I do not want to give out my personal phone number, nor do I want to spend the money to get a new phone and phone line just to satiate Paypal.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement (Effective March 12, 2020)

• We are clarifying how merchants must treat PayPal and Venmo marks and payment methods offered at points of sale.
  • We are requiring that merchants publish customer service information, including at least one email address or customer service URL, and a telephone number, which must be readily accessible for review by merchants’ customers.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Zedrin
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I was able to get in contact with someone from Paypal and they were able to confirm that "merchant" changes and status applies only to pro accounts, not the average business account.

So people in my situation won't be affected / won't be required to post their phone numbers.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Zedrin,

Thanks for posting in relation to this.

If you have a business account with us for selling on PayPal, you would be considered a merchant. If you have a premier account and are just selling on a casual basis you may not be required to provide additional information. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Zedrin
Contributor
Contributor

So does this mean that I'm required to include a visible phone number even if I'm just doing art commissions via invoices? Does handling things like art commissions using invoices count as "selling" via paypal, or does that mean you have a storefront?

Giving out my phone number is literally the last thing I'd ever want to do in this situation. If I count as a "merchant" then how do I downgrade my account so I no longer count as one?

Login to Me Too
Solved

Zedrin
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I was able to get in contact with someone from Paypal and they were able to confirm that "merchant" changes and status applies only to pro accounts, not the average business account.

So people in my situation won't be affected / won't be required to post their phone numbers.

Login to Me Too

nkantheti
Contributor
Contributor

nkantheti
Contributor
Contributor

nkantheti
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.