Weekly income; Personal or Business Account

wcaustin
New Community Member

Greetings! Firstly, many thanks to anyone who may be able to help/offer advice. This questions is about using a Personal vs Business account.

I find myself in a dire financial situation and need income quick. So, in about two weeks, I am going to be running tabletop games for a group of people via a virtual tabletop. Each player is going to pay me $10 dollars per session. There are going to be five players, we will play every Friday – so every Friday they will pay me the $10 dollar fee. A few of the players are from outside the United States.

I plan to run these games for the foreseeable future. That means, I'll have a regular flow of about ~$50 dollars a week and ~$200 dollars a month (before fees). This will be the only money going into my Paypal account.

My understanding is that doing this – offering a service, even a hobby – is considered a business for tax purposes; but I don't know what that means as far as Paypal is concerned. Seeing the description of the Personal Account saying this, '...for casual sellers or non-businesses who wish to get paid online, and who also make online purchases.' only confuses me more! Am I a 'casual seller'?

With this kind of situation, do I need to upgrade my Personal Account to a Business Account? I tried researching, and I get a lot of mixed answers, leaving me puzzled and lost on what I need to do.

Hoping someone can help me out! Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and especially if you have any advice!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.