WHY am I being asked to BUY 300 in a STEAM card now ? ????? how did someone hack me ?

Carlwineland
Contributor
Contributor

have a client who i was to buy 400 in Ebay gift cards and buy something off of my busiess to
so now i Have bought 400 in ebay gift cards and EBAY is saying now I need to by 300 in Steam gift cards ? to get my money released ? WHY ??? Here is the email Paypal sent it looked legit ! Unless some how a scammer was able to break into my account and figure out what the arrangement was for !
On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 8:19 AM paypal service
Hello,Carl

Josh <removed> sent you money for an eBay item
NOTE FROM josh <removed>:
Additional $400 for eBay Gift Card
Payment details

Transaction ID: U-6l7HSYA783ND8383N
June13,

Amount received

Total Pending

$565.00USD

$565. 00USD

Important Note: We currently put the funds on hold for seller and buyer protection until you email us receipt and picture of the gift card as proof. Thank you for using PayPal service

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Carlwineland 

Scam. If the person REALLY sent payment, a record of payment will appear in your PayPal account activity fairly instantly, even if PayPal puts a hold on the funds.

eBay also doesn't ask you to buy gift cards, in order to receive a buyer's payment.

And PayPal transaction IDs do not have dashes in them. Its a fake transaction ID number.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Carlwineland
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Carlwineland,

Thank you for reaching out via our Community Forums. What you've described does not sound like a legitimate sale. You should never have to purchase gift cards of any kind to receive a transaction through PayPal. I would recommend reviewing the following resources:

What are common scams and how do I spot them?

How do I receive money through PayPal?

Why is my payment on hold or unavailable?

How do I spot fake, fraudulent, spoof, or phishing emails?

I hope that helps, best wishes with your future sales!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.