Unsual log in activity 2019

Madeleine18
Contributor
Contributor
I got an email from PayPal asking me to update my information (address, name,credit card etc) as there was an usual log in activity. They sent me a link in their email in order to reach my account. They also mentioned that I have limited Access to PayPal and I am not allowed to send or receive money! They didn’t ask me to change my password, so I didn’t think it was something strange. The problem is that my credit card number was declined. I logged into my PayPal account and everything seemed fine. When I seacrhed the internet, I found out this could be a scam...Can someone help me with this please?How can I be sure if the email was genuinley from PayPal or it was a fraud?The problem is that I gave my credit card information....
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Madeleine18 

Whenever you receive an email like this, check the email header/raw text with the email client to see if its from PayPal and not some random email address/server path. And just only log on to your PayPal account direct from website. Do not click any links in the email. Call your card issuer and tell them that your card info has been compromised and have them issue you a new card. Remove the compromised card. Also change your PayPal password. Check your device for viruses or mal/spy ware. 

https://www.paypal.com/ro/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-from-paypal-and-how-do-i-re...

https://www.paypal.com/ro/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud-to-paypal-faq2422

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Madeleine18
Contributor
Contributor
I changed my password as you told me, and I checked again the email I suspect as fraud. They address me after my email address and not after my name! And the beginning of the message is : [Update Info] . I believe it was a fraud and I feel so stupid for clicking their link. But the email had the PayPal Signature and looked very similar!...Do I really have to ask my bank for a new credit card, even if I changed my password?Thank you
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.